Chapter 7: Flames of Flashbacks

The sound of child-like laughter filled the air as he looked up at his father's emerald eyes. Those eyes were special, only his closest friends and family got to see them. The rest of the world got this lifeless mask passed down from generation to generation to the oldest child.

"Dad?" The young boy asked as he slipped his school pack on. "These kids are mean to me at school, I don't want to go," he mumbled, a small pout on his face as his little sister laughed slightly.

His father only shook his head and lifted Dream above his head, spinning him around the sitting room. "Well, what if you bring the mask with you to school?" He mentioned before laughing at seeing how his son's eyes lit up. "This mask belonged to my great grandfather. He was very strong and got it when he was only seven years old," he spoke.

Ah yes, Dream's great great grandfather. One of the strongest warriors who fought alongside one of the greatest warriors in all Minilus, Hero was his name. While the tale has aged into a myth, the mask is valued as a symbol of strength and dignity.

"Hey, I'm seven!" The little boy smiled as his father ruffled his hair. His eyes lit up as his father held the mask in his hands before slipping it into his boy's pack.

"Don't think they'll let you wear it in class but if they ever decide to pick a fight, I'm sure Great Grandfather will be there for strength." His father gave one final nod before watching his son walk out of that wooden door to head off to school with his fellow neighbors.

"Dream? Aren't you forgetting something?"

"Right, Bye! I love you!" He smiled cheerfully before closing the door behind him.

~

His father was a strange man, skilled but letting his skill shine. But there was peace with that as he looked out the window, cradling his baby daughter in his arms. She mumbled gibberish before reaching out to their mother, deciding she wanted to be in her mother's arms instead. His father rolled his eyes before carrying his daughter to lay by her sleeping mother.

Being a parent is exhausting, there was no denying that. An active seven-year-old boy and a little baby girl born only a few weeks ago. "Oh love, Drista wants you," He smiled before dropping a small kiss on his wife's forehead, her stirring slightly as she cradled their baby girl.

A tired small graced her features as she spoke softly, her voice laced with the sweetness of honey. "You like Mama more than Papa?" She laughed before being gently nudged by the man beside her. This was ideal, a wonderful family where nothing could seem to break the inner peace which blood had ever so graciously formed.

Of course, there was never confirmation of safety. Nobody seemed to know that better than himself. Of course, there was always a way to increase the risk if it needs to be. However, they were home to the place where safety was all around them.

~

Class never seemed to disappoint in being such a drag. Clicking his tongue quietly as his eyes took occasional glances from the front of the class to the open window where birds would occasionally sit. He didn't like school, but then again, hardly anyone did.

He could hear the occasional whispers of his least favorite people from behind him. Trying to ignore it but it haunted him. Something haunted him as those small whispers soon turned into obnoxious laughter.

"Is something funny?" Dream looked up to see their professor staring down at the group behind him. That quickly shut up the three boys behind him as he tried to stifle a bit of laughter. "I figured so; it's break time anyways. Off you go," She muttered before heading to her desk, watching as each of the children ran out the door to the front of the school for a bit of time outside.