Chapter 37: Resist the Break

Sunlight poked through the windows, the unbearable light of the sun as she barely kept her eyes open long enough for doctors to take notice. Returning to the familiar darkness when she felt the comforting touch of a friend.

"...Puffy?" She managed to make out the words, eyes still closed. Yet it was not the voice Niki expected to hear.

"It's Wilbur, so happy you are okay, Niki," she heard the voice crack in sadness, but fatigue would not allow her to press on anymore. "Don't worry anymore, you're safe now," the voice said as Niki managed to open her eyes once more.

"Where's Puffy?" It was not that she did not appreciate Wilbur. Yet when someone who was practically attached to her wasn't there, she couldn't help but wonder. Watching Wilbur swallowed nervously, fidgeting with his hands.

"She's... um- Puffy is... at home," Wilbur stuttered out, a small sigh escaping him. He knew it was a flat out lie, but doctors said not to bring too much trauma immediately. "Yeah, she was just here. Doctors said Puffy had to go home to check on you so we switched spaces so she could get some sleep!"

A flat out awful lie that Niki, sedated and recovering, believed. The lie that Puffy would visit later, end of story.

~

Dream just there as Drista sat up in bed, drinking the water that she was gently forced to take, help with dehydration. "So, you won't tell me what happened?" She sighed as Dream sat beside her.

"Doctors say trauma and stuff like that aren't good for you right now," Dream spoke, ruffling his sister's hair gently. What was he going to say? Oh yeah, Niki's recovering and Puffy is very much dead and has been dead for the past two days. Cool? No, of course he won't. Though that is what happened in its simplest form.

Soon, after the two-week period of recovery. The government would force her right back into school, which Dream wouldn't mind as much if she wasn't alone. Perhaps a part of him blamed himself for this.

Again, he was not there to protect her, and it led to this mess. He was not strong enough, otherwise nobody would have died. Just like last time, Dream was not strong enough to resist possession and here they were.

"Stop being overdramatic bro, it's not your fault," Drista reassured the other, laying back down. "Yeah, I feel like utter garbage but that's my fault, not yours."

"Are you seriously blaming yourself for being kidnapped?" Dream stared at the other, watching as she just cracked a smile.

"No, of course not. But your argument sounds just like mine. Stop blaming yourself for stuff you can't control," she just closed her eyes, leaving Dream to think of it all. Perhaps she did have a point. Perhaps, so did Wilbur.

But it almost felt like something he could control. Herobrine was after him, not Drista, not Niki. The ghost was going for him and everyone he ever loved was in line of danger.

'Welcome to the Dream talk show. My life is not the best and I think that stuff is my fault when everybody says it's not.' He just shook his head, it sounded too negative. Comedy also did seem to improve his own outlook on the situation, even if only slightly.

'Welcome to the Dream talk show where this evil ghost is out for my blood. Whoo! What else could happen, oh yeah hah- I'll probably be dead so stay tuned for the finale! The fall of Dream.'

It was grim for sure, but what Dream hated the most was that it helped him. Whether slightly or greatly, it helped him at that moment. He just sat there silently until doctors supposedly kicked him out of the room, where he returned.