fourteen

Since they had fallen in love, Jimin had yet to go out gambling and drinking as he once had. This was a development that Jungkook was more than happy with, though he could see how in need of a break the man was.

It has been a month now since the assassination attempt. Despite all of the interrogation, and Jimin's creative forms of torture(that Jungkook insisted he not be told about), Nicholas had yet to crack. With each passing day and his refusal to divulge any details on the incident, Jimin grew more and more stressed. While his moments alone with his husband were still filled with budding new love and affection, it was not lost on Jungkook that the moment he left that bedroom that he was a king, and not a man.

The prince knocks his knuckles against the doorway just as Jimin is sliding a leather panel over his chest. It wasn't often that he was dressed properly, always half-naked in unbuttoned blouses but they had guests this evening. Very important guests.

"They're downstairs waiting," Jungkook informed him softly, hating the way Jimin's forehead creased in stress through the reflection of the mirror he stared at.

"They can wait," the king informed and turned around. He didn't need to do much beckoning to get Jungkook to practically float across the room to him. His smaller hands grasped greedily at his husband's hips before he reeled him in for a kiss.

"Hmm," Jimin hummed, brows furrowed as he pulled back. "You're taller today, you're towering over me now."

"You haven't put on your shoes yet," Jungkook points out sweetly, squealing when Jimin pinches his hip before he sits on the bed, lacing up his leather shoes.

"What do you say we go on a little trip?" the king suggests as he brushes off his trousers.

"They're already plating the appetizers, I don't believe we would be back in time," his husband responds with a joking smile. Jimin merely rolled his eyes and grasped Jungkook's hand as he led them out into the hall. He smiled faintly at the sight of his family coat of arms that decorated his pinky ring. The prince's own family coat of arms was on his other hand, but he hadn't even noticed that he had begun wearing his until a few nights ago when he mentioned it after seeing it on his bedside table. Now it seemed like he always looked to his hand to find it.

"Not now, but this evening maybe. I know a cottage a few miles past Yoongi's, we could spend the weekend there. Just us two."

Jungkook could feel the excitement bubble up within him at the idea only for his shoulders to wilt. Jimin must have cataloged all of his different reactions because, within the instant of his excitement fading away, the man bristled. His shoulders were drawn back as if he were anticipating an argument and Jungkook jumped to squeeze his hand reassuringly.

"I want to! I really do, but do you think this is a good idea with everything going on? We have a man who tried to murder you chained up in the basement. And in Namjoon's last letter he said that my father was growing stressed over the possibility of war. What if Nicholas wasn't the only one? What if there is someone in the castle seeking to revolt? They could follow us."

"You sound as paranoid as my father did," Jimin chuckles and promptly pushes Jungkook up against the nearest wall, the prince stumbling until his back hits the cool surface. Jimin crowds up close, kicking his ankles out so his husband lowered to his height. The king smirked at the sight of his throat bobbing, big brown eyes staring up at him. "Do you trust me? Do you trust that I'd protect you?"

"Well yes, but-"

"Then come to the cottage. If this dinner goes poorly then you can forget the whole thing. But if it goes well, we leave this evening." He leans down and Jungkook shivers as he feels the press of warm, thick lips against the fabric covering his throat. "If war is what Verlam wants then there is no avoiding it, we'd better grab these chances while we can."