nine

"Where are we going?" Jungkook asked with frightened eyes as Jimin tugged him out of the office. Within seconds everyone who had previously been on their feet were kneeling, head bowed as their hands rested on a knee. The sight seemed to shake Jimin, the older man's eyes growing wide. He brushed past them and went out into the hall, Jungkook gasping.

Every person he had seen in the palace was lined up against the wall, kneeling. Waiting for their new king.

Jimin's grip tightened on Jungkook's wrist, causing the prince to let out a yelp in pain. Within seconds it loosened and Jimin jumped right back into action, heavy feet falling against the concrete as he led Jungkook down the countless halls lined with people showing their respect.

"We're going to get rid of this, I already told you." Jimin led him out into the stables. He dropped Jungkook's hand once they were left alone in the dark of the stable.

Horses weren't terribly common in Pennora, he knew only a few noblemen that had them. Of course as royalty he and Namjoon were both efficient in riding, but it wasn't until he left home that he realized just how vital they were considered in other areas.

Jimin's horse was in a secluded stall, moonlight shining off of it's silky black hair. It was bigger than the other horses in the stable, muscular in a way that made Jungkook wary of how eager Jimin was to jump the wooden gate. The metal chest still sat under one of his arms.

The horse whined and huffed but within seconds was silenced by Jimin's gentle hand rubbing over its face. He pulled the horse out of its stall, pressing a kiss to its forehead when it ducked down to follow him out of the stable.

"None of the horses are accustomed to you yet, we'll have to ride double." Jimin threw a cloth over the horse's back before settling a thick piece of leather over top. He kneeled to tie the straps before standing. Jungkook watched in awe as he hoisted himself up onto the horse flawlessly.

"Do you think it'll be okay with the two of us?" Jungkook questioned, stepping closer as Jimin offered a hand down to him.

"Dal will be fine," the king assured. "We aren't going far and he's a hefty boy. We don't keep many stallions."

Jungkook let out a loud gasp as he took Jimin's hand, the older man pulling him easily onto the horse, his hips pressed flush against Jimin's back. His thigh bracketed Jimin's own, warmth radiating from the new king. He attempted to squirm back to put some distance between them but Jimin's hand gripped the outside of his thigh, forcing him to stay put.

"Stay. If you get too far back he will buck you off."

Jungkook settled in his spot out of shock, inhaling sharply. When Jimin seemed satisfied with him staying in his place Jimin took the metal chest laying in his lap and passed it back into Jungkook's shaking hands. "Put that in the bag."

The young prince tried desperately not to think about how he was holding a human heart in that chest as he turned to the side and slipped into a bag tethered to the leather seat beneath them. The moment his hands were free Jimin did something to make the horse jolt forward, trotting out of the stables.

"You forgot the reins!" Jungkook squealed, reaching out and grabbing for purchase around Jimin's waist. He expected to be scolded for such an action but Jimin hadn't even seemed surprised.

"Don't need them," Jimin dismissed, one hand curled gently into the horse's mane. The other rested on his own knee, fingers drumming to an uneven beat as they left the darkening courtyard.

Jimin's body was warm against his, solid. Jungkook had never spent time pressed against someone's body like this. His family hugged him of course, they were affectionate in their own clinical way. But he'd never touched anyone else like this, if touching was what you called it. He had certainly never wrapped his arms around someone's waist like he did. The thought made his cheeks pink.