One

"And these are your band mates. That's Tony on drums," the drummer in question raised a stick in greeting. I gave a small wave back. "Garrett on keys," another small wave was exchanged between the two of us. "And this is Miles on guitar. Guys, this is Celeste, your new front woman. Please don't make this one quit." He pleads with them before walking off stage and back to his office.

"Don't listen to Paul. We didn't run the last one off. Technically, they've all quit because of him, but we don't tell him that." Tony says, standing up and shaking my hand.

"Should I be worried?" I laugh nervously.

"Gotta boyfriend?" Garrett asks.

"No. Why?" All three of them make the same pained look.

"Find one. Or a big male friend who can come in every now and then so Paul thinks you're taken. If he thinks you're taken, he'll leave you alone."

"Wonderful. Creepy boss, just what every upscale restaurant needs."

I had taken this job because it was the only thing that paid well, on a regular basis, that would allow me to sing. I loved singing. It was the only thing I'd ever been exceptional at. But my parents were realists and singing doesn't pay the bills. But now I was having the last laugh. We got a solid base pay, plus we split the tips between the four of us.

"So what kind of music do you guys play?" I ask.

"A little bit of everything. We tend to slow it dow if it's too fast paced. But really anything is on the table."

"Really? Country?"

"The right artist."

"Nickelback?"

"If you don't like Nickelback get the fuck out of the band." Miles said.

"I'm glad we agree on that at least." I laugh. "So what have you been preparing for tonight?"

"Nothing really too challenging. We were thinking maybe Blackbird."

"Oh I love that song." We rehearsed our set before breaking for dinner and to get ready. In my dressing room there were racks and racks of beautiful evening gowns to choose from. I settled on a floor length purple gown with a high neck but just two pieces of fabric covering my breasts and a triangle cut out under the breast. Over the one shoulder more fabric draped down to the floor.

I curled my hair into smooth big curls and gently pinned them over my other shoulder

I curled my hair into smooth big curls and gently pinned them over my other shoulder. My make up was light save for the bright red lipstick that I opted for. I had just placed my makeup back in the case when there was a resounding knock on the door. "Showtime!" Garrett yelled as he opened the door.

I laugh. "Let's get the show on the road then." I say, carefully maneuvering my way down the hall and into the backstage area.

"Very nice," Paul says, his eyes racking over my body, which in this dress, nothing was left to the imagination.

"Thanks..." I say shortly before going and grabbing my in-ear monitors and hooking them up, accepting the help from Miles when I couldn't hook it to my dress.

Paul introduces us and we make our way onstage. The room isn't too packed, but there's a decent crowd. I take my place behind the vintage microphone. I scan the crowd, trying to make out faces. I lock eyes with a man in the back, who's at a big table with other important looking people in suits. I'm struck silent for a moment as his eyes pierce into mine, his look captivating me. I break our intense stare down, blinking a couple of times before I take a deep breath and turn to the guys and nod. They play the first opening chords to Blackbird before I join in.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

I hold out that last note and slowly fade out, the gathered diners applauding slightly. "Thank you." I say before we move through the rest of our set.

...

Our set ended and after changing out of that beautiful dress I make my way to the bar where the others are. "You were amazing!" Miles says, picking me up and spinning me around, causing me to laugh. "We didn't know you'd be that good."

"I'm not sure whether to be honored and offended by that."

"Honored, definitely honored." Garrett says, winking at me before sliding a drink down to where I was seated.

"If you say so. How did you guys know I like coke and rum?"

"Lucky guess... actually it's more like Tony has this special power."

"Special power?"

"Yeah, he can guess your drink of choice. And so far, he's never been wrong."

"Interesting." I say before taking a sip.

"So the guy at the end of the bar hasn't stopped staring at you since you sat down." Garrett whispers in my ear. I casually peruse the room before my eyes land on the gentleman at the end of the bar. It's the guy from earlier, that I locked eyes with.

"Ok, Tony. Time to put your super power to good use." I say. He nods. "Guy at the end of the bar, what's his poison of choice?"

"Whiskey, neat."

"You're an angel." I tell him before ordering the guy another round.

A couple of minutes later I feel a tap on my shoulder. "Isn't it normally the guy who's ordering drinks for a pretty woman?"

"I guess I'm just not that old fashioned." I say with a wink. I check his hands, there's no ring. "Celeste Winters." I say, extending my hand in greeting.

"Andy, Andy Barber." He says, taking my hand and kissing my knuckles. Ok, this man has charm.