Chapter 25. Under My Skin

On Sunday, Maryse brought them lunch. Izzy and Jace went with her. There was even a familiar face. He ran up to Alec, gave him a hug, and let out a big sigh.

"You okay, buddy?"

"Yes, it's just a bit many things that happened all of a sudden. I missed you."

"I missed you too. When did you come?"

"On Friday, mom asked me out of school for a week. I'm staying home."

"Hi, are you Magnus? I'm Max."

"Hi Max. Nice to finally meet you."

"Max? How are things with Madzie?" asked Alec."

Max blushed and his mouth pulled into an ear-to-ear smile.

"Fine. She's my girlfriend now and..." he leaned into Alec's ear and whispered, "We kissed."

Alec smiled. "I'm happy for you Max. Take care of each other."

Then Magnus and Alec ate the tasty lunch, while Maryse told them that Robert's arrest had gone without a hitch. They arrested everyone in the law firm involved in the case. Including Valentine.

"Luke said they'll be in prison for years, so I'm putting off looking for an apartment for a while. Right now I'm concentrating on opening the bakery and breakfast place. Clary said she'd help with the design, Izzy with the decor. Your dad's trial is in a couple of weeks, and then I'll get started as soon as things calm down. Are you going home tomorrow or coming over for a few days?"

"Mom, if you don't mind, we'd like to go home. I have to take Snowflake home, I can't leave her in Ragnor for days. Her Majesty will be offended. But can you please take us home tomorrow?" asked Magnus

"Sure, honey. I'll be back to pick you up at 9 am."

Next morning, the doctor examined Alec again and re-bandaged his neck.

"The wound is healing nicely. Come back in two days to have the stitches out."

When Maryse took them home, Ragnor took the cats.

"It's good to be home. Alexander, you need to rest and heal. I will finish the work by Friday. Not taking longer, maybe 2 days will be enough. Would you rather rest in the bedroom or on the couch during the day?"

"I prefer the couch, where I can watch TV and read. I need to learn a bit as well."

"Try to get some sleep today. The doctor said sleep and rest is the best medicine."

Magnus made Alec's bed on the couch and went into the study. When he went out to get some coffee a few hours later, he saw that Alec's book had half slipped out of his hand and he was sleeping peacefully. Mr. Meow was curled up on Alec's chest.  He carefully took the book from his hand and covered him up. He caressed him for a few moments longer, gave him a gentle kiss on the forehead, and then went back to work with coffee in his hand.

This went on for 2 days. Magnus was ready on Wednesday. That morning he called Catarina.

"I'm finished." said Magnus proudly.

"You never disappoint me, sweetheart. Is your invitation still open for Friday? I can't wait to meet him."

"Yes, we are really looking forward to it. These last couple of weeks have been an incredible roller-coaster for us. I'll tell you what happened. Cat, would you mind if I invited an old friend?"

"Oh, not at all. You know I like good company. And whoever you invite to your house is definitely worth meeting."

"Alexander, are you ready? Time to go to the hospital."