daddys girl

Sadie's POV

I woke up, relieved it was the weekend and I didn't have to go to school and see Crystal or Devyn.

I got out of bed and went to the kitchen and had a piece of toast. I had promised Mrs. Rockerall, our librarian, that I would help reorganize books today.

I wished I hadn't, but I guess it's too late. I said I would so I'm stuck.

"Sadie, Johnny is coming over today. Get started on some food for the boys." Mom says.

"I promised the librarian at school I'd help her reorganize books. I'll be back later." I said brushing my hair.

"What? No, you have to be here to help the boys. They need food and snacks." Mom yelled angrily.

"Ok, we'll tell them to make it themselves. I promised I'd help."

"I don't care. She's gonna have to deal with it herself. It's her job, not yours."

"Ok? Maybe it is, but I'm not gonna go back on my word." I said crossing my arms.

"Knock it off! Now put on something nice and start cooking!"

"No!" I yelled.

"Darrel! Get in here and deal with your daughter!" She yelled after she gave me an evil glare.

"Sadie, what the hell is the problem?" He asked.

"I promised the librarian I'd help her out today. I don't have time right now to make a bunch of guys food. I have to go."

"Sadie Curtis, don't talk to us like that. You will stay here, make food and do what we say." He yelled.

"No." I said after a moment of hesitation.

"No?"

"No." I repeated, angrier than before.

"I'm gonna give you one more try." He said.

"No." I said plainly.

I heard the door open. Dad and I both looked over. Ponyboy and Johnny walked in.

"Get baking." He said with pauses between his words.

"I don't even know how to bake! I can barely cook!" I yelled.

Mom groaned. "I can't believe I failed you as a mother." I looked at her. "Your job is to grow up, cook, clean and find someone to marry you. That's it. If you can't do half of that, how else are you gonna get through life?"

I stood there, dumbfounded.

"What the hell?" I asked dumbly.

"Don't use that language with me!" Dad screamed.

"I don't wanna be a housewife!"

Mom groaned. "Don't tell me you wanna be that kid. You think you're so cool and rebellious. Wanting to go out and get a job and be all strong. Well your not!" Mom yelled. "You're nothing! You never will be something! This isn't just being about a housewife. You need to realize nobody in this world cares about you. Nobody wants to deal with your shenanigans!" She yelled.

I was baffled. I felt like an idiot. With Johnny and my brothers watching, I was embarrassed.

I looked her dead in the eye. I had nothing to say to her. I was horrified.

"So are you going to start baking?" Dad asked.

"No." I said angrily.

Dad slapped me so hard I almost lost my vision. I quickly retaliated and shoved dad as hard as I could, moving my way through the living room and out the door.

"Bullshit. I hate this house!" I yelled loud enough for everyone to hear.

I heard someone gasp as dad hit me, but I didn't process it until later.

I did go and help the librarian. It didn't take as long as I thought. I wasn't going home. Not this soon at least.

I spent the rest of my day going to the movie theater and walking around. The sun had just started to set and I figured it was time to head home.

I was in a part of town I didn't normally walk through. I recognized it, but it was farther away from home to where I normally hung out at.

I walked through the train tracks and kicked rocks below my feet.

"Hey!" Someone called out.

I felt my heartbeat quicken, but I didn't let it show. It wasn't dark yet, but it was getting to be that time.

"You're that girl we saw at the drive in!" Another voice called out.

I turned around. "I didn't go to the drive in tonight." I said trying to sound like I wasn't nervous.

It was two girls. But I've never seen them before. One of them had dark brown curly hair with deep brown eyes. She was gorgeous. The other girl had blonde hair with pink tips. It was cool.

"Not today. A few days ago. You were looking for somebody the entire time. We were watching ya." The blonde said.

"Hmm..." I muttered, unsure of what else to say.

"You find who you were looking for?" The dark haired girl asked.

"Unfortunately. I was looking for my friends. They ditched me."

"Damn, that sucks. Whatcha doing over here at this time of night?" The blonde said. She walked up to me and I stopped.

"I got in a fight with my parents. Didn't wanna go home."

"Aww, daddy's girl didn't get her allowance." The brunette mocked. They both laughed.

Daddy's girl? I wish.

"Daddy's girl." I laughed. "Daddy's girl doesn't exist. All my parents think I'm good for is baking and cooking and cleaning and doing everything around the house. Called it bullshit and left."

"So they want you to be a housewife?" The brunette asked.

"Yeah. I resent them. I love my brothers, resent my parents."

"Interesting. Tell me more. I'm Claire." The blonde said.

"Nevaeh." The brunette said.

"Sadie." I said shaking their hands.

"Here, we've got a fire going. I'm curious to hear about this." Claire said. "We ain't gonna bite."

I wasn't sure if I trusted them.

Hell, I didn't trust them.

I mean, they looked to be my age, but they didn't act like it. They acted like how mom made me out to be.

Well... at this point in life, nobody seemed to care if anything happened to me. So I guess there's no reason to not follow these girls.