34.

"Do you not recognise her? She's your stepmother," The male doctor said gently.

"Mother," she clarified, stiffly.

I stared at her with my mouth hanging open, which hurt my jaw. "Y-you're my stepmother?"

"Mother," she insisted, firmly.

"So you don't recognise your family member, and do not recall the way you injured yourself. You may be having memory loss, due to your head injury," the female doctor had concluded.

"No, there was— there was someone with me," I insisted, "he'll tell you everything. He should be around here somewhere, search for him. He— he was very tall, and handsome, and— and found me in the rain, and he helped me. I-I need to talk to him, right now. I need to talk to him," I muttered, becoming incoherent near the end.

Where were you? Where were you, my love, when I needed you the most?

I was blabbering madly, calling for you, nearly reduced to tears. That was the impact you had had on me and my life. I needed you, your presence, your assurance to stay sane.

I remembered the way you told me to sincerely think of you, and meeting you, all those days ago, when we had first met. I closed my eyes, and earnestly called for you.

No doubt, I must've looked very crazy to the doctors, and my supposed stepmother. But that's how I was without you. I was demented, unhinged without you.

I need you, my love.

x x x