Aftermath

The entire Cullen family along with Cecily and Demetri sat in the living room of the giant house in Forks, watching the news as it played out. Already reports were out about mysterious deaths in an old warehouse. There was no mention of their connection to the syndicate, but Cecily knew that Gabe likely had his team in working as soon as she left, eager to get the full story out.

The next few days more news would come out and soon the world would know the truth. She was certain more than one politician was likely hard at work trying to do damage control. But there was no way to smooth talk their way out of this one.

Once the arrests started, they wouldn't stop for a while.

She pushed herself off from the sofa and walked out to the back porch, not wanting to watch anymore. The Cullens watched her go, slightly worried about her silence, though none more worried than Demetri. She hadn't said much since the night at the warehouse and for once, no one wanted to push her on it and force her to talk.

"Cecily?" he asked softly, stepping out behind her.

She was leaning against the railing, looking out through the trees.

"So... how long before they call you back? I'm sure that little stunt got the Volturi's attention," she said, not looking at him.

"There's nothing to connect it to vampires. They likely won't even know it was us until I tell them... If I tell them," he said. "But... I am sorry that I went back on my word."

Cecily turned to look at him, her face unreadable. She then glanced away from him, wrapping her arms around herself.

"I wanted to kill him," she said. "And you stopped me..."

"I knew that you wouldn't live with yourself if you did," he replied. "You have a good heart, Cecily. You're no killer." She glanced up at him. "And I am..."

Silence stretched out between them for a few moments.

"You're wrong, you know," she finally said. "You're not a monster."

"But... I am," he said, looking out into the forest. He couldn't bring himself to look her in the eye. "You were right before. I am a killer. I have killed people. And I killed that man because... he tried to kill you."

Cecily walked over to him, gently turning his face to look at her.

"Is that why you think I've been so quiet? Because you killed him?" she asked, her brow furrowed. "Because you think that I think you're a monster?"

"But I-"

"You are not a monster," she said firmly. "You did what needed to be done. What I couldn't do."

"But-"

"But nothing, Demetri," she said firmly. "It's just... it's been a bit overwhelming. And... I... can't really believe that it's over. And I can't believe that... I almost lost it there for a bit..."

"You wouldn't have," he said, his brow furrowed.

"But I almost did," she said. "I only stopped because you stopped me."

Demetri grabbed Cecily by her arms and held her close.

"You would have stopped yourself," he said. "You just needed a reminder... you have enough strength."

Cecily just stared up at him. He then pulled her against him, wrapping his arms around her.

"It's over. You don't have to worry about them anymore," he whispered.

"I know, but... what if it's not? What if there are more out there? Or what if I lose it again, but this time you aren't there to stop me?" she whispered back.