The Date

The next day, Cecily took her time making her way back to the Cullens' house from the cottage. She had gone over for another tutoring session with Renesmee that morning, needing space. She hadn't spoken to Demetri since the night before and he had thankfully gotten the hint and kept his distance.

She knew that she would have to speak to him again eventually, but first, she needed time to wrap her head around everything that had happened.

They had nearly kissed. And she had shared way more than she meant to.

"So stupid," she muttered to herself as she picked her way through the trees.

"You are anything but stupid," Demetri said, popping up out of nowhere.

Cecily froze, then rolled her eyes as he made his way towards her.

"You really are stalking me," she replied.

"No. I was just out for a hunt when I came across you," he said. Cecily raised an eyebrow. "Just a couple bears, I assure you. The humans of Washington are safe from me." She continued to stare at him. "While I am not used to the taste, I will admit that it isn't so bad."

"You might find you like it with time," she said, crossing her arms in front of her.

"Perhaps," he said. He sighed. "Cecily, I would like to apologize for last night." Her eyes widened as she stared at him. "It was untoward of me. I clearly misread the situation. I will not do so again."

"Thank you," she said softly. She glanced around. "Why are you out hunting? I thought you fed before you left."

"I did, but felt it necessary," he said. "I was... planning to go to Portland tonight and was hoping that you would accompany me."

"I, what? I'm not-" Cecily stopped, embarrassed at how she was fumbling her words. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Alice assures me that you have maintained great self control. You've been to La Push and around humans," he said.

Cecily narrowed her eyes at him. He had been talking to Alice. This had set-up written all over it.

"But I'm still a few months away from the one-year mark," she said.

"It's a guideline, Cecily. Not a law. I believe that you will control yourself," Demetri replied, smiling slightly. "Regardless, I am sure that should you feel tempted, I will be able to stop you."

She stared at him, thinking this was a horrible idea. But at the same time, if he had teamed up with Alice, there was no way she was getting out of it. Finally, Cecily sighed.

"This is a really bad idea, but... what are we doing?" she asked.

"I assure you that you will find it enjoyable," Demetri said, starting to grin.

Great.

"So this is a surprise," Cecily said.

"Please, Cecily," he said, his smile fading slightly as a look of concern came into his eyes. As though he seriously thought she would refuse.

And while Cecily was sure that it wouldn't end well, a bit of excitement spiked in her. It had been far too long since she had been out. Maybe this would be okay. Even if it was with Demetri.

"Fine," she said. Demetri's face lit up.

"Good."