"It was the sunrise."

"That makes more sense."

"If you would start thinking, you might know my name by now, but you keep prattling on about my dress. What is my name?" she asked, eager to get this over with.

"Amara Niran?" he asked.

"Took you long enough." She rummaged through her bag for a moment before grabbing a match to relight the lantern. "We need to get going."

"Where does this tunnel let out?"

"Somewhere near the Ford river." she replied.

New candlelight dancing across his face, Samir sighed in relief. "So, it's close?"

"I haven't gone far in these tunnels before, I've only ever got about a mile before I had to turn back." She paused to inspect his ankle. "Can you move it at all?"

"Yes, I feel spectacular. It's as if I never fell twenty feet onto my ankle." he said.

"That's great. We can move faster."

"I was joking, for saints' sake. It's worse than before." In the low light Amara saw tears rolling down his face. Seeing his tears reminded her just how thirsty she was. Amara hadn't had anything to drink all day, and her head had begun to pound.

"We can still die of thirst."

"I'll try to walk."

"Good."

They continued to trudge through the dark in silence. It was slow, and the two had to pause every few minutes to adjust Samir's bandage. She tried not to expose the wound to the damp air, but it was impossible. Growing up in a palace, Amara had never learned the proper way to tie a bandage and it showed. While they walked, the wrap kept slipping off, no matter how tight she tied it.

Samir didn't complain, but Amara could tell he was getting frustrated. His jaw had tightened and he kept sighing. In some backwards way, his patience made her more upset.

Why won't he just yell at me? I'm terrible at this.

"He's probably in too much pain."

Ok, but wouldn't yelling help him feel better?

"Not right now."

He could at least stop sighing. It's not doing anyone any good.

They kept walking, and to her relief Samir's breath steadied and he stopped sighing. Amara wasn't able to enjoy it for long, the effects of dehydration were beginning to take their toll. Her throat had dried, and her tongue felt like sandpaper against the roof of her mouth. She could feel the beginning of migraine, and Amara had to keep licking her lips to keep them from getting chapped. When had she last had water? Not after the ball, but had she had anything to drink at the ball? She cursed herself for not drinking. She should have known what would happen, she should have planned. She hadn't thought to be wary of her sister. Her sister. The thought made her sick.

Now, she had to survive the unknown with only a small dagger strapped to her leg. She knew Samir must be thirsty, but she couldn't do anything until they found a healer. She was certain that if they couldn't get it reset, his ankle would be permanently misshapen.

Will he need a cane?

"I hope not, but honestly, a cane wouldn't be so bad."

Yes it would! He would need to carry it everywhere, everyone would see him as a cripple.

"But he could break people's bones with it. Imagine, someone is getting on your nerves and bam! Broken toes." her conscience joked.

Good point.

"How much farther can you go before our next stop?" she asked, unable to bear the voice in her head any longer.

"Not much." Samir replied.

"Come on." she urged. "We have to get out of here."

"What will we do after we get out?"

Amara sighed, looking down at her dress. The hems that had once been pale pink were now the ugly dark green of the passage floor. She had cut the sleeves at odd angles, and it gave the impression that she was a crazy maniac that had lost her way. Samir wasn't as bad. His suit was still clean enough to walk in the market. However, he was reliant on her to walk with him, and there was no way she would be able to go unnoticed in the old trading village.

"I don't know."

"Any nearby towns, or paths?"

"Welcome to Farren, where we have the worst road system in the world. Enjoy your stay."

"My stay has consisted of a short party, a broken ankle, and a long walk in a disgusting cave. It's been wonderful so far."

"I've enjoyed this just as much as you have." Amara readjusted his arm around her shoulder and tried to ignore the pounding in her head.

"You're not the injured one."

"Maybe not, but I am carrying the injured one. At this point, I don't know which is worse."

"I'm limping." he said, offended.

Amara scoffed. "Let's be honest. I am carrying you and your stupid ankle."

"Maybe if you knew how to tie a sling, this wouldn't have happened."

"Just like how if I hadn't remembered this escape route, we'd be dead?"

"You're the one who brought me into this." he reminded her, "If not for you and your wonderful little run through the gardens, I would be there now, enjoying a party."

"I'm sorry my sister tried to kill me." Amara spat out. "Next time, I'll try to give you a warning." She still hadn't quite processed the turn of events. Amara had never been close to her sister, but before tonight, she didn't hate Eira. The two had left each other alone for most of their childhood. She didn't think Eira hated her, much less want to murder her. Amara wasn't convinced that she hated Eira now. Despite what she had done, Eira was still her sister. She loved her younger sister, nothing could change that, but it felt as if Eira had been replaced with some alternate, demonic shadow of the girl Amara had grown up with.

"What did she do?" Samir asked, dumbfounded.

"You didn't know? Eira decided that sisterly love wasn't her cup of tea, so she threw a knife at me. Multiple knives, actually. It wasn't my idea of a fun time, but perhaps she enjoyed it." Amara scowled. She locked the betrayal she felt away in the depths of her mind, and pulled her invisible mask back over her face.

"Was anyone hurt?" he asked, his voice still full of pain.

She thought of Emperor Balil, willing to end his life so Amara could live. Amara didn't know Samir's relationship with his father, and she wasn't sure how or when she should tell him. Maybe it was best to tell him now when the pain in his ankle was the only thing on his mind. Above all she knew it was crucial to be on good terms with the new emperor. Farren's alliance with Basam was the only thing stopping Bek from invading the small wooded kingdom, and without it her small country would crumble.

In the end she turned away, pretending he hadn't asked.