Samir

They had left the desert less than a week ago, and the woods around them still felt new and foreign. The sunlight seemed to dance on the branches, lighting up the forest floor. Samir had traveled through Farren before, yet he was still amazed by the trees that towered over them.

Bahar wasn't impressed. She sat curled up on the wagon's bench with a new book propped up against her lap. "Are we there yet?" she asked.

"It's been five minutes since you asked," Samir replied.

Bahar crossed her arms and pouted. "That doesn't answer my question,"

"In case you haven't heard, the coronation is taking place in a palace. You'll know when we're there."
Bahar grumbled a retort under her breath, and Samir was about to respond when their father, Emperor Lahan Balil, turned around.

"Samir, why don't you come sit with me?"

Samir grumbled but joined his father at the front of the wagon.

"Is your relationship with your sister worth this argument?" he began, "Next time, you could tell her, 'No, we're not there yet.' Petty arguments are not a good use of your time."

Now it was Samir's turn to cross his arms.

"Gently tell her to stop." his father gestured towards Bahar, "Go on."

Samir sighed, "Bahar, please stop asking if we're there."

"Sure." Bahar answered. She reached for her book and continued reading as if the conversation had never happened.

A bump in the cobblestone road shook the carriage. Samir hit his head on the low roof and let out a quiet cry of surprise. His father had seen the uneven path and ducked his head.

"It is more important to look to the future than the past."

"Yeah, I know." He replied, rubbing the top of his head and hoping it wouldn't bruise.

Like someone had flipped a switch, his father 's expression became serious. "Listen to me, Samir." he said in a hushed voice. "I was not able to see any details, but I fear the new queen will be in danger tonight."

"And we're still going?"

"If we do not, the whole world will suffer. Keep your voice down, Bahar does not need to know."

Samir stared at his father in shock. "Yes she does! The future of the world lies with us and you won't tell her? Why are you even having us go if we're going to die? You always talk about how valuable life is, and you're just going to throw it away?"

His father rubbed his forehead, trying to be patient. "The less people that know a secret, the better."

"But-"

"Listen, you must use your kouzlo."

Samir stared at his father, his eyes wide with surprise. "You're kidding."

He shook his head. "I wish I was."

"I was supposed to be able to choose! It's my choice how I spend my life, and it's my choice who I interact with. You can't be serious!" he yelled. He knew Bahar would hear, but he didn't care.

His father stared down at the floor. Refusing to make eye contact he said, "I am very sorry to force you to make this decision, but please, know that I am only suggesting this because the fate of the world rests with us. I would not ask you to use it if I believed in any other solution."

"This is foolish. Besides, I've never used it before, how am I supposed to know if it works?"

"You'll know soon enough." his father responded.

Now this is ridiculous, Samir thought, he tells me to waste the one choice I had in my life, and he won't even tell me if it works?

Samir sighed. He tried to keep his temper under control as he asked, "Who do you think is important enough to have access to my thoughts?"

"She won't have access to your thoughts, she will only hear what you wish."

"She? Who is it, the Queen of Farren? She's an empty shell, she can't even think."

"Not the current queen, but the queen to be." His father responded in a calm voice that only added to Samir's growing rage. How could his father be calm in a time of crisis? How could his father ask him to waste the one decision that was his?

"You want me to use it on some girl I don't even know?" Anger kept rising in Samir's throat. He had fought hard on Terra Mons to earn his ability, and his father was asking him to waste it on some girl? The climb had required years of brutal training, a lifetime of preparation, and months to complete. He had suffered through pain and torture for weeks. It was the first time he had felt real fear, and his father wanted him to use his prize on someone he'd never met? It should have been his choice who he formed a permanent connection with, but he knew he would have no say in this argument.

"No. I want you to use it on the future queen of Farren. She is in grave danger, and the fate of our world rests in her hands."

"What do you mean? You just said it rests in our hands!" he demanded, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Sometimes, it takes multiple people to hold the weight of our world. We are not alone in our struggles, and neither is she."

"What makes the Farren queen so important? Farren is less than half the size of Basam!"

"Yes, but it is the gateway to Basam. Should Bek invade, Farren would fall, and we would be at risk. You must listen, she can tell the truth apart from lies."

Samir shrugged. "I already knew that."

"Yes, but it is almost certain that William Bates's kouzlo will not work on her."

This caught Samir's attention. No one had been able to do such a thing if they were in his presence. All trade with Bek was done through letters because of his kouzlo. In the past twenty years that he had been in power, the dictator had managed to brainwash the country, and made them believe that Bek was a safe haven set apart from the rest of the world. His kouzlo was slow to work, but after two decades, he had the people under his thumb. William Bates had begun to take new territories in the west. The Bekkan colonies threatened to take over Massaponai any day, and if they did, the country of tribes wouldn't have a chance.

"Now you're interested," his father laughed.

"She could end his tyranny." Samir said in awe, "Bek would no longer be ruled by a dictator." Realization dawned on him. "This girl could prevent wars, ensure fair trade, and save people's lives. William Bates would finally have a worthy opponent, one he could not control."

"One of our spies in Bek has heard rumors of a potion made with water from Terra Mons that could give Bates all the power in the world," his father said, "If he were to get his hands on it, controlling Bek would be child's play. He would take over all of the Realm." His father paused, and looked Samir in the eye. "Now that you know this, have you changed your mind about using your kouzlo on her?"

Was it right for him to invade her mind, even if it was for the sake of their world? She had a right to privacy, despite what his father might believe. He knew that he wouldn't want anyone invading his mind, and he assumed she wouldn't appreciate it either.

"I still don't understand why I need to. Can't I talk to her?"

"She does not know about tonight's horrors. I need you to warn her before her coronation."

The fate of our world could rest in my hands. Samir reasoned with himself. Isn't the world worth more than my kouzlo?

"I'll do it," he said after a few moments of quiet. "How?"