Samir

The pain was blinding. It shot up his leg like a fire, threatening to burn into his mind. He had never felt pain like this before. Not on his trip to Terra Mons, not when he had gotten lost in the Anabi Desert, and not when he had been bitten by a Sopian Serpent. His vision clouded with white, and he was sure he was going to pass out.

He heard a rough voice telling him to be quiet. Was this how he died? The voice was going to kill him, he was sure of it.

Until he heard a voice in his head that wasn't his.

"He's hurt."

He didn't have the strength to respond, not without revealing himself.

The girl moved his leg, and he wondered what he had done to deserve such torture. He gritted his teeth until his gums bled.

She's more important. She's more important. She's more important. He repeated to himself over and over until it numbed his thoughts. He had to get her to the palace. Even if he couldn't do that, even if she killed him right now, his silence would ensure her life. Her life meant they had a chance. Her life meant the world wasn't doomed.

Still, the pain was terrible. It consumed him. If it had been bad before, it was agonizing now. It burned through him like a wildfire destroying everything in its path. He couldn't remember his name or his family. He couldn't remember his mission or his friends. He couldn't remember who he was or where he was. The fire was the only thing he knew, the only thing he could see.

And then she was forcing him to stand.

"I can't." he whispered. "I can't."

And then the world went black.