Chapter 34: Relax

"Really? He believed you guys?" You ask, sitting up in your bed. It was midday the next day and the group had come back to tell you what the Commander said about Armin's suspicions. Armin, Mikasa, Jean, and Eren were all in your room, making it the default meeting spot while you were still recovering.

"Yeah, apparently Armin here is good at convincing people." Eren says, jutting his thumb at his blonde friend. Armin rubs the back of his neck with a slight blush to his cheeks.

"I'm not that good, I'm sure the Commander had some suspicions of his own."

"I'm sure you're right, Armin. But don't sell yourself short, if it weren't for you bringing it up, we probably wouldn't be doing anything about it." You give him a smile then pat his shoulder as he was the one sitting closest to you, the only one in arms reach, really. The boy blushes even harder at your comment and puts his head down, a small smile on his face.

"Thanks guys." You smile back then look up at the group again.

"When will you head out?" You ask, crossing your arms over your chest.

"Soon. Tomorrow probably." Jean says from his spot leaned up, arms crossed, by the door. "We don't want to give it time to get out to tip her off."

"Yeah, if there's one there might be more we don't know about." Armin added nervously. It was hard to think that anyone else from the 104th Cadet Corp could be capable of this, it was hard to believe even Annie had done any of this.

"One Titan shifter at a time Arlert." Jean sighs then looks to the door. "Someone's coming."

"(Y/n), you can't tell anyone else about this. This stays between us, got it?" Armin asks. You eye him for a second.

"You mean I can't tell Reiner?" Armin just gives you a look and you close your eyes letting out a sigh. "Alright, you have my word."

"Thank you." When you open your eyes again, Armin is smiling at you. You return it then look to the door as someone entered. 'Speak of the devil.' Reiner enters the room with a tray in hand, your lunch.

"Hey, (y/n). I brought you your-" he cut himself off when he saw the group in your room. "Uh, what's going on?"

"Oh nothing," you smile at him. "They were just keeping me company, right guys?" You ask them, all of them giving nods in agreement.

"We should get going then." Mikasa says and the rest of the group takes the cue to get up and head out the door, all of them giving you a nod or a small wave. Armin raises a brow at you before he leaves the room last. You ignore it and look to Reiner, who sets your tray on your lap.

"You guys look serious." He says sitting down in the spot that Armin previously occupied. You glance at him then back down to your food, taking a bite of some mashed potatoes before you answer.

"We were just reminiscing."

"About what?" You take another bite then a sip of the water he had brought you.

"When Wall Maria fell. When we first saw the Colossal and Armored Titan." He tensed at the mention of the Armored Titan, but quickly recovered.

"Oh." 'Well that worked.' He never liked talking about that day, usually keeping quiet or changing the subject whenever it was brought up. You felt bad for using that against him, but you made a promise.

~~~3 days later~~~

"I can't believe Annie was a Titan shifter like Eren." You mumble to yourself as you try to stand. Your leg was still in bad shape, but the wound itself had closed. You may not have Eren's quick healing abilities, but you healed at a surprising rate for the extent of the injury.

"(Y/n)!" Your name sounds from behind you in a panicked tone. "What are you doing?!" They grab you by your arms to help steady you.

"Relax, Reiner, I'm tired of sitting. Everyone else got to go capture Annie and I was left here because of my leg. I'm not getting left out again."

"You knew?" He asks, setting you on the bed gently. He stays standing and crosses his arms over his chest. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I promised Armin I wouldn't tell anyone. We don't know who else could be working with her."

"You don't trust me?" You hear the hurt in his voice and your eyes snap to his and you can see the pain in his face.

"That's a dumb question."

"Then why couldn't you have told me?"

"I made a promise!" You didn't mean to raise your voice at him, but you couldn't help yourself. 'Why does it matter so much anyway? It's done isn't it?' You sigh then continue talking at a normal volume. "I'm sorry, okay? Armin was adamant that I not tell anyone. Anyone." You reach your hand up to take his from his chest and hold it in front of you. "I trust you with my life Reiner, never doubt that." You give him a soft smile and he looks away to the window then let's out his own sigh.

"Alright." He relents. "Come on." He offers you his other hand and you take it.

"What do you mean?"

"You want to walk, don't you? I'll help." You practically beam at him as he helps you, slowly, to your wobbly feet. You use a little too much momentum and end up face-first into his broad chest. You both laugh, feeling the vibrations of it through his chest. He helps you to stand straight and then takes a step back, still holding your hands. "One step at a time."

~~~4 days later~~~

After a few very long, frustrating, days of recovery, you were finally able to walk again without the help of a spotter. Reiner had been distant since the news of Annie's betrayal came out, and he was a bit hurt that you had chosen not to tell him something so important. No matter how much he denied it. He didn't think that the big secret Armin had asked you to keep was that big. Because of his absence, it was Connie and Sasha that helped you through the rest of your recovery. You could often be heard yelling at each other in frustration throughout the day as you tried to walk. In the end, you were grateful for their assistance. Currently, you were laughing about some joke Connie made at Sasha's expense when you felt a tap on your shoulder.

"Hey, we need to talk." It was Reiner, and he wouldn't meet your eyes. You narrow yours at him as the room goes silent.

"Sure." You swing your legs over the bench to face him. "Talk." You understood he was mad about you not telling him about Annie, but this was ridiculous. He had barely spoken to you for almost a week since.

"Alone." He stated, finally meeting your gaze. You let out a sigh and then start to stand, the rest of the room watching awkwardly. The voices in the room started up again as you followed Reiner outside of the base to the stables then crossed your arms and leaned against the wall as he came to a stop. "I think we should break up."

_________________________________

Hehehe did I just wait a long time to update then leave you on a cliffhanger. yes, yes I did. Sorry it took so long, I just graduated college and was taking time to wind down, but love y'all😂🤗💕 (TikTok/Instagram: kennikei_)

-K