Chapter 19: Have You Seen Reiner?

"To Hell with you. My family gets the time I have left!" Daz yelled then turned on his heel and stormed off. Your brother made his way back next to Captain Woerman who looked like he was about to have a cow. It was only a matter of time before that ticking time-bombe of a man blew.

"Traitors!" There it is. "I'll kill you where you stand!" With a loud sound of metal on metal, the tell-tale signs of someone unsheathing their blade, Woerman was marching towards the deserters. "Desertion is answered by death!" You understood why they were so afraid, hell, even the Captain was afraid, it was evident on his face, yet, they were still soldiers and as you've continued to repeat to yourself through the past few years, it's what you all signed up for. You took a moment to look away from the chaos to look over and up at Reiner. He was watching it all go down with only the slightest hint of worry on his face. It wasn't that he was thinking about deserting, for that you knew for sure. It was more than likely about what will they do if they don't have enough soldiers to carry out this mission.

"Anyone wishing to leave will by my personal order no be charged with treason!" Your head snapped to Commander Pyxis at that.

"What?" You whispered, shocked. He was just going to pardon these people for running away like cowards? It seemed like any soldier that was intent on staying, had that same thought. "Those who have seen a titan first hand will not be expected to revisit such horror again. Whomever this applies to, you may leave with my blessing." You scoffed then ran your hand down your face, not believing what you were hearing. "Additionally," Great, there's more. "anyone with family or loved ones they would spare from the same trauma may also leave. The crown will continue to recognize your service. Thank you and good luck!" That was it, just like that. You side-eyed your brother and he seemed to be doing the same to you then a smirk crept upon his face. 'What is he smirking for?' You thought to yourself and raised a brow at him. He nodded his head in the direction of the people that had been deserting. You squinted your eyes in confusion then followed where his head had pointed and was stunned. The deserters, or what would have been. Were frozen in their spots. You let out a breath of amusement then looked back towards the Commander.

"That's a good leader." You hear Reiner say next to you.

"Agreed, I feel bad for doubting him." When you both look back at the soldiers, they had turned and were headed back towards the rest of the group, ready for action.

~~~later~~~

You were on the wall with Connie and Marco, your new squads not being called into battle yet when you heard the sound of ODM gear. When you looked over to the edge of the wall you saw Jean fly over and make his way to you.

"What the hell is up with the red smoke? What happened to him?"

"We don't know, but Armin left a few minutes ago to go and see." You let out a sigh then look out over the city and mumble. "This plan is failing before it's even begun."

"I-I think it'll be alright." You turn your head to see an unsure Marco and give him a soft smile. He was ever the positive one. Always looking on the bright side, he was too pure for this cruel world, especially for the life of a soldier.

"Yeah?" Jean asks with hope in his voice, causing Marco to look at him with more confidence speaking with conviction this time.

"Of course! I mean...this is Eren we're talkin' about."

"He does have a point." You chime in and elbow Jean's shoulder. "I'm sure it'll turn out okay."

"Right." Jean was obviously less than convinced, but you were determined that if Marco could be so positive, then so could you.

"I don't wanna be that guy, but this whole thing feels kind of pointless."

"Of course it does, Connie."

"When is the last time a fight against those bastards didn't feel like it was pointless? The best thing we can do now is fight hard and try not to lose any more people than we already have. We'll make it through this and we'll win a great victory today." You add.

"I agree, this was the right call." Jean agrees. You give him an appreciative smile then look back over the wall. You couldn't let yourself have negative thoughts, not at such a critical time like this. You're startled out of your thoughts when long arms wrap themselves around your shoulders, squeezing you.

"Whatcha thinkin' bout little sis?" That oh-so-familiar voice sounds out. You let out a laugh at the realization then turn your head to see your brother.

"Just about how our friends are doing out there." He gives you another gentle squeeze then moves to stand at your side, arms crossed.

"Oh so you have friends now? I'm so proud." He feigns crying and pretends to wipe tears from his eyes.

"Oh shut up." You laugh and punch his arm.

"Ow!" He holds his arm, pretending to be in pain. "I haven't seen you in years and this is how you greet me." You roll your eyes.

"Hush, it wasn't even that hard." You give each other a smirk then laugh together.

"So, who are your friends?" He asks, going back to arms crossed and smiling face, looking to Jean first.

"Jean Kirstein, sir!" Jean introduces himself then salutes. Your brother smirks then extends his hand to the boy.

"Nice to meet you, Kirstein." They shake hands then he turns to Connie. "And you?"

"Connie Springer, sir!" Connie salutes and introduces himself just like Jean had, then shakes your brother's outstretched hand.

"Nice to meet you too, Springer." He crosses his arms again then looks back at you. "These the only two friends you have? Or are there more out there?"

"There are more, thank you very much!" You fire back.

"Yeah, and she's got a boyfriend." Connie adds and your eyes snap to his as if you say 'why would you say that?'

"Oh? Does she now?" Your brother asks. Connie doesn't seem to take the hint and keeps talking.

"Yeah! His name's Reiner! He's in the top 10 with y/n!" You narrow your eyes at Connie and his big mouth.

"Well, where is this Reiner? I'd like to meet him?" His tone of voice scares you, it was sweet, too sweet. You look to his face and he has the evilest aura about him, as a protective big brother does when a boy is brought up. "Huh, sis?" He asks again. Now that you thought about it, the question actually concerned you. Had he gone out with one of the groups? You had seen Annie, but Bertholdt and Reiner were nowhere to be found.

"Oh I don't know actually, where is Reiner?" You looked around to Jean and Connie, but they just shrugged their shoulders, not having any idea either. Your heart sank at that. You didn't even get the chance to tell him good luck...

_____________________________
Sorry for the long wait again haha, but here it is!!!! The next chapter will have some Reiner POV in it! It has been forever since we've had some of that so be ready! It will contain scenes from that flashback that's a few episodes ahead, but don't worry I'll make sure to put the exact episode and season just in case you aren't caught up so you'll be able to skip that part of the chapter and go back later! You'll be able to start reading again at the Reader POV. Thanks again for reading and don't forget to vote and comment!!!💕

-K