Chapter 30: Preparation

Please don't forget to vote loves!
-K
_________________________________

You woke up to the sound of shuffling boots outside your door and muffled voices moving down the hall. You let out a loud groan wishing that you could sleep just a little bit longer, but you were probably going to be late if you did. Your roommate was already gone and didn't bother to wake you up before she left...thanks, Sasha. You let out a sigh and roll out of bed and onto your feet, still hunched over then willed yourself to roll up to stand up straight. The Corp would have everything you needed for the expedition, you just needed to have your gear and your uniform and you would be set. After pulling on your clothes and struggling with your ODM belts you ran your hand through your hair and decided to look out the window. The square was bustling with soldiers getting ready for the day; all with varying expressions. Some looked scared to death, others determined and stoic, some excited, and others were hard to read, Captain Levi being one. You turn to the door and adjust your hair the way you like it when there's a knock at the door.

"Mikasa, I'm not even late this time." You say going to open the door; only to open it to a tall blonde and not the black-haired girl you were expecting. "Oh." He looks down at you with a smirk on his face.

"Oh? You sound disappointed to see me." He mock-pouts and pretends to wipe fake tears from his eyes. You roll your eyes and smile up at him, going in for a hug. He stops you and holds you at arms-length by the shoulders and looks away from you. "No, you hurt my feelings. I don't want a hug."

"We both know that's a lie." He lets out a laugh and pulls you into a tight hug and kisses the top of your head.

"Very true." You place your hands on his chest and push away enough to look up at him. That's when you remember what happened between the two of you last night and your face starts to burn. "What?" He asks, raising a brow at you.

"Nothing!" You look away and try to take a step back, but he doesn't let you and pulls you closer; resting his head on your shoulder so he can whisper in your ear.

"You were thinking about last night weren't you?" You can feel the smirk on his lips as they brush against your ear and grab his chin to pull it to that he can face you again.

"Maybe I was." You smirk and it's his turn to blush and clear his throat. You loved how both of you could dish it, but never take it with teasing. You give him a peck on the lips and he stands up to his full height again. "You ready for today?" His smile drops and he runs his hand through his hair.

"I don't know." He looks away from you when he speaks, so this must be something that he's unsure about.

"Hey." You say to get his attention then put your hand on his cheek to turn his face towards you. "It's going to be okay, we are the best group to come out of the cadets you know?" You smirk and pat his cheek. That doesn't seem to help him much though. He just gives you a small grin then brings his hand to the one that was on his cheek and gives it a soft squeeze, nuzzling into it and closing his eyes.

"Yeah, you're right." He kisses the palm of your hand and then lets go of you to turn around. "We should get going, or Sasha will eat our breakfast." You watch his back for a moment with a confused look on your face. 'Why is he acting so weird?' It was normal to be nervous about an expedition, but this was something else entirely, you just couldn't put your finger on it. You go into a light jog to catch up to him and take his hand in yours.

"Seriously, what's bothering you?"

"I just don't like how we aren't in the same squad is all." He kept his gaze forward and his face neutral. 'Liar.' You thought to yourself but decided to drop it. Whatever it was, he obviously wasn't going to give it up easily.

"Okay." You were about to let go of his hand, but he just held it tighter. You looked back at his face and he looked even more troubled, maybe he was scared but just didn't want to tell you. He was always honest about his feelings though, so what made this time different? During breakfast, Reiner was uncharacteristically quiet, especially around you. Even Annie and Bertholdt seemed extra on edge this morning. You had leaned over and asked Jean who was sitting on the other side of you about it, but he said they seemed normal to him. Maybe since you were around them more you noticed? Or maybe you were just seeing things because your nerves were getting to you too. You weren't sure why though, you were more excited than nervous, or at least you thought you were. This was your dream finally coming true. You were following in your father's footsteps to take down the titan menace. Thinking about your father lit a new spark under you and your nerves started to fade, just slightly. You were ready. After breakfast, the new scouts decided to gear and saddle up together, making sure everyone was prepared and said their goodbyes before going their separate ways to their squads. You and Reiner were some of the last ones at the stables. He appeared to have mellowed out since breakfast, much to your relief. He walks his horse up next to you and yours by the lead then takes your free hand in his.

"Got everything?" He asks and squeezes your hand.

"Yep. Armin helped me double and triple-check everything, so I'm good to go. How about you?" He gives you a nod and then looks up to your horse. He lets go of your hand and gets its nose.

"You better take good care of her." The horse blows out hair in response as if to say 'Yeah, duh.' You let out a laugh at the interaction and he smiles down at you; putting his hand on your cheek, caressing it softly with his thumb.

"I love you."

"I love you too." There was the sound of gagging as another horse walked by, its owner on the opposite side, but you knew who it must have been. The two of you laugh and he leans down to kiss you.

"Let's both come out of this alive." He says quietly as he rests his forehead on yours.

"Agreed. Besides," You bring your voice to a whisper so only he can hear. "I still owe you for last night." You peck his cheek and leave him at that. This was going to be a long expedition for Reiner. You mount your horse and fall into formation within Squad 1. When the long-range formation was put into place, the two of you would be far away from each other. Too far to go to each other's rescue within a timely manner if need be.

"It's officially begun! The 57th recon mission! Scouts move out!" The Commander shouted above the soldiers and horses and you and the rest of the Scouting Regiment were off to Shinganshina, a place that was once your home and hopefully; soon to be...

"It's officially begun! The 57th recon mission! Scouts move out!" The Commander shouted above the soldiers and horses and you and the rest of the Scouting Regiment were off to Shinganshina, a place that was once your home and hopefully; soon to be reclaimed home.

_________________________________

Yayyyyyy we made it to 30 chapters, that is literally insane! AND WE HIT 3K VOTES AH THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! Also thank you for the amazing feedback on the last chapter haha I'm so glad everyone enjoyed it. There will definitely be more spice in the future. Check me out on TikTok for more anime content at kennikei_ <3

(I also have a story on Episode called Loving Hades if you want to check that out!)

-K