Graduation.

Summary: Hermione and Ginny are finally graduating Hogwarts. Ginny invites Harry to attend the graduation ball, but being in his first year of Auror training, he's unable. Alone and pissed off, Ginny is forced to attend alone while watching Hermione and Ron act like a love struck couple. Will her night turn around? 

*** 

"Wasn't that just fantastic!" Hermione grinned as she led Ginny out of the great hall. 

"If end of year exams are what you class as fantastic, then Ron is failing you as a boyfriend." Ginny smirked. 

Hermione's cheeks turned pink as she shook her head in amusement. Ginny snorted a laugh at her best friend. While she wasn't as excited about the idea of examinations as Hermione, Ginny was pleased that the year was over. In just two days time, Ginny and Hermione would be graduating. Seven years, plus the extra year Hermione had lost due to the war, of spells, potions and all manor of magical lessons. Now, it was all over. 

And as excited as Ginny was to start the next stage of her life, it paled in comparison to the excitement she felt knowing she was going to be able to see her boyfriend again. She hadn't seen Harry since his last visit almost three months ago. Even that wasn't enough for Ginny. She's only been able to see him for a couple of hours during a Hogsmede visit, before he was called back to training. 

Instead of returning to Hogwarts after the war, like Hermione, Harry and Ron had chosen to take a different path. Instead of completing their final year, the two had joined the Auror training program at the Ministry of Magic. Ginny missed him terribly, but she was also incredibly proud of her boyfriend. To her, he wasn't Harry Potter, the boy who lived. He wasn't Harry Potter, the boy who saved the wizarding world by defeating the most evil dark wizard of all time. He wasn't Harry Potter, the poor orphan boy who was raised by abusive relatives. 

No, to Ginny, he was simply Harry Potter, the boy who'd stolen her heart and loved her just as fiercely. He was someone who was a friend to all he met. He was brave, loyal and compassionate. And most importantly, he was hers. 

"I can't believe we're finally graduating." Hermione breathed out, smiling softly. She had a dream-like look on her face, like she was already planning something extraordinary. 

"You excited to see Ron again?" Ginny asked, brow raised in question. 

Hermione's cheeks turned pink again. "Yes. I assume you're also excited to see Harry again?" 

Ginny nodded eagerly. "I'm already counting down the minutes until Friday." 

"Is he coming to the graduation ball?" Hermione asked. 

"I asked him in my last letter, but he hasn't responded yet." Ginny sighed. 

"He's probably busy with all the training. He did say in his last letter that it was intense." Hermione said gently. 

Ginny knew that. She knew that Harry's responses would take time. But with graduation getting closer and closer, Ginny started to worry that he wouldn't respond in time. Or that he'd miss it completely. She shook her head, ignoring her doubts. Harry wouldn't let her down. Unless he didn't want to come, he just didn't know how to tell her. 

"Yeah." Ginny mumbled. 

Hermione stopped walking and placed a friendly hand on Ginny's arm. She offered her a small smile. 

"Ginny, Harry would never do anything to intentionally let you down or hurt you." Hermione said. "Just because he hasn't responded to your letter, doesn't mean that he won't make it. We both know Harry, and I for one, can't imagine him missing such an important day."