Chapter Five

It's been a week since the last time I saw Elliot or Owen. I'm relieved because Elliot didn't try to come to see me again. I'm not ready to deal with his ass or even think about his ass. As for Owen, I'm avoiding him.

I look through the peephole and when I don't see him walking through the corridor that's my cue to step outside. And that's what I'm doing right now. Since the premise is clear, I don't waste my time going out.

I take the stairs to go and see if I received any mail today.

"Good morning, Taylor." Lola from the first floor greets me.

I turn around to look at her. "Hey, Lola. How it's been?"

"My mother drives me crazy. She thinks just because she's the one who's taking care of Mathew while I work. She can dictate to me how to raise my son."

"I thought you guys ..." I don't have time to finish speaking. Lola grabs my arm as her jaw is on the floor.

"Who the fuck is he?" She whispers beside me.

I turn around to see who she's talking about when I see Owen walking toward us.

Crap!

I move to the side to let him pass, avoiding his eyes.

He must have noticed because I heard him let out a chuckle as he passed in front of me.

Lola clears her throat. "Hello, my name is Lola Rosewood." She presents her hand to him.

Owen looks at her and then at her hand. He says nothing as he walks back to where he came from. "Taylor." He says my name without stopping walking.

Did he just call me by my name?

Did he greet me with manners?

"Wait!" Lola stares at me. "You know him?"

That sneaky bastard. He called me by my name on purpose. He knew the reaction Lola would have.

"He's my next-door neighbour. His name is Owen Blake. If you ask me, he's an ASS!" I say the last word loud enough for him to hear me.

"Oh, Taylor. Don't you know that they are the best kind? I'm telling you, if I hadn't Harvey in my life, I would have gone for it. You were right. What an ass." She says dreamingly.

"Lola!" I warn her, shaking my head.

I don't want to think about his ass.

"I'm sorry, Taylor, but I have to go to drop my son at my mother's place. Harvey already left for work." She leaves to go back to her place.

I need to take some air.

I walk outside. I take only two steps as I hear someone calling my name.

"Taylor, can we talk?" Eliott stands not far from me.

I take a deep breath. I guess I can't avoid him forever. I better deal with him and be done with it. I tried to avoid him and look where it got me.

Stupid Owen!

"Hi, Elliot. We can always go to the coffee shop not far from here."

Better to do this in a public place than in my apartment. There's no way I'm going to let him walk back in there.

We walk side by side in silence.

Last week, when I learned that he cheated on me. I thought I would be more distraught than that. He was my boyfriend, and I loved him. I realized that I wasn't in love with him. Maybe that's why I wasn't ready to be fully committed to him. It doesn't change the fact that he betrayed my trust. I would have never done to him what he did to me. That's why I agreed to go with him. I want to hear what he has to say.