25: Judgement Day

Start from the beginning

The girl then felt the hairs at the back of her neck rise at the unfamiliar voice, it's timbre rumbling through Mara's chest. Mara slowly raised her to look at the face of the man sitting at the end of the desk before them.

Meeting his gaze was like an abrupt cold front that swept through your body with brute force. You could feel the contempt from a mile away, in fact she felt his eyes on her even before acknowledging his presence. His gaze was sharp, a prickly feeling on Mara's skin as he stared right through her. He sat comfortably in his chair, expression marked with disinterest as she offered a slight bow. He looked away once Mara looked back up, instead shifting his attention to Jimin, who cleared his throat awkwardly. Expectantly, Namjoon slowly clicked the pen in his hand and sat quietly.

"Namjoon, this is Mara. Mara this is Namjoon, our leader," he emphasized, the last bit causing a smirk to pull at Namjoon's lips. Mara felt another wave of shivers rake up her body. His dragon eyes could burn holes through anything and everything.

It was odd for the girl to be introduced for the very first time to everyone. They all knew who she was—she'd been asleep in their home for a week before finally being let out of the infirmary and into the fresh outdoors. Of course, it was all for her well being, but the expectations instilled upon her were up in the air. It was a mystery what Jimin had boasted—if that were even the case—but she could only hope her self hadn't been embellished too much. There had to be room for error, for humanity.

"I'd like to speak to her alone, if you would be so kind," Namjoon spoke, causing Mara's heart to drop and her face to blanch.

Not happening.

"I don't know if that's a good-"

Before Jimin could finish, Namjoon raised his palm to the air, stopping him mid sentence and letting the room plummet back into silence for a moment. Jimin discretely sighed, glancing at an unsettled Mara.

"If you would be so kind as to give us some time to talk and negotiate," Namjoon smiled. Although Mara wanted to perceive his smile as friendly, it radiated as anything but. The word negotiate didn't sound too great either.

"I'm sure she is capable of speaking for herself," Namjoon nodded, tilting his head as his smile slowly fell.

Jimin hesitated, and he seemed to hold his breath momentarily before ultimately sighing and obliging. He offered a comforting squeeze to her shoulder before turning on his heels and striding out of the room. The door was shut behind him gently, the click alerting Mara that she was now alone in a room with a very intimidating man, a man whose glare was oppressive and filled with prudence.

"Mara, is it?" Namjoon spoke up. His intense gaze unfaltering.

"Y-Yes." Though she wanted to appear brave, she knew that he smelled the trepidation a mile away, and her slouched, timid posture wasn't helping either.

"You look young," he commented, brows raising.

"I-I am."

He nodded slowly, "I bet you've learned to deal with things on your own."

"I have," Mara answered shortly, finding it hard to speak without announcing that she was anxious.

Namjoon smirked, "So you would agree that you don't need us."

Mara shrugged, voice timid but not holding back as she said, "Well, you don't really need all these guns. But they help, don't they?" She attempted to sound as innocent as possible as she turned the tables. Namjoon narrowed his eyes at her before scoffing. He didn't seem to appreciate the comparison, but he gave it no further thought as he completely changed the topic.