Part 33 - Chapter 7: The Data (3/6)

COMMUNICATION

Unlike the Assembly's residents who have been there for a long time, newcomers are allowed to communicate by email to a single outside address on monitored computers. They must communicate the address beforehand prior to their arrival so that the Assembly can ensure the security and identity of the recipient of the email. Having had this information a few days before they arrived, Sarah and Jeremy had time to plan with Stephan a coded language to communicate. Stephan would play the role of Nathalie's brother, Logan. Libra Justice isn't accustomed to proceeding in this manner during their missions. Usually, the organisation has nothing to hide or be accountable to anyone since the government has given it carte blanche since the new law. The faces, names and uniforms of their agents are known and identifiable by all, their reputation contributing both to the reputation of the organisation and to the guarantee of protection by the latter. In the exceptional case of this mission, the anonymity of the three agents represents the essential element in the success of their ambitious enterprise.

In a society such as that of the year 2084, modifying the biography of young human lives, changing the morphology of ordinary faces recognisable only by their relatives, central artificial intelligence or the global surveillance system and manipulating their personal data can be carried out in a few clicks. As well-known as Nina Xi-Huang and her two children are, the faces and personal information of the twin agents would easily be made unrecognisable even to their own mother. As for Jeremy's story, it should remain the most faithful to the reality of the young man from the ancestral people.

Unlike Stephan, Jeremy doesn't know all that his device can do. He looks through all the walls of the Assembly, combing through Professor Akheeli or his daughter. With the photos their client provided, he would easily be able to identify them among the crowd of members. Yet, he can't see them anywhere. 

The days seem long for the two young people playing with a fervour they don't aspire to. So today, they have decided to venture into the corridors of the Assembly instead of attending their afternoon class. The couple take one corridor after another without any specific destination, but they hope that good fortune will lead them down a trail far away from their boredom. Soon they arrive in a secluded section of the Assembly. Although surprised to find no guards there, they continue in the same direction, silent, and determined. 

They finally come to a large metallic door with a sign that reads: Laboratories. Restricted Access. The two young people glance at each other for a moment with a smile before examining the door. Jeremy uses his device to see through the metallic door. The young couple haven't yet noticed Athena behind them, who watches them intently like prey.

***

"Sarah, behind you!" Stephan says softly, staring at the screen in front of him, both hands clutching his shaved head. "How can this idiot have a 360-degree view and not even notice that thing behind him?" He exclaims, exasperated and furious.

Mr. Vaughen standing beside him, watches the scene without flinching.

***

Suddenly, Sarah feels like a presence, a danger behind her. She turns around and finds herself face to face with the hologram staring at her sternly.

Jeremy also spins around and remains frozen next to Sarah. The young woman doesn't move either for a moment, then she collapses at his feet, her whole-body convulsing, as if seized with an epileptic fit.

***

Stephan freezes in front of his screen.

***

Athena doesn't take her eyes off Jeremy as he quickly bends down beside Sarah to support her head and keep her body down so that she doesn't hurt herself. After a few seconds, the young woman's convulsion has passed, but she remains inert and unconscious on the ground. Jeremy looks up at the hologram; he has the strange feeling she is trying to talk to him, except that no words come out of her closed lips. She wants to do to him the same as what she just did to Sarah; something is stopping her, but what?

***

"What's happening?" Stephan asks, reading the data on his screen.

"They're communicating," Mr. Vaughen says in admiration.

"It isn't time to communicate, it's time to run away, taking Sarah with him," Stephan says, getting up from his seat angrily.

***

At the same time, Athena's hologram blurs as if from a power cut. The hologram tries unsuccessfully to step towards Jeremy as he continues to stare at her, confused. Suddenly, Jeremy's body starts running. "Sarah!" He screams in a howl of pain as his body keeps racing. His body knows exactly where it is going, but Jeremy doesn't.

***

"And Sara! He's running away without Sarah!" Stephan yells, banging on the desk as Mr. Vaughen stares at the screen in awe.