Part 14 - Chapter 3: (5/6) The Mysteries of Life

THE COUPLE

"Detainee 1406390, you have a communication request in progress," an electronic voice suddenly comes out in the cell. "Call authorised with holographic transmission for a limited period of five minutes and fifty-five seconds. All calls, video and holographic transmissions are recorded. Communication. Do you accept the communication?"

"Accepted," Tempéra replies in one breath.

He exhales in disappointment as he sees his wife's hologram appear. He was hoping for redemption, but now he expects penance.

"Is this true?" His wife asks in a stern voice in French language, their common language of conflict. Whenever the couple argues and quarrels, French has always been the only language they can both use on equal footing. Isabelle is fluent in the Mina language whereas Tempéra isn't. Although they both speak German, they have never felt close enough to the language to express their emotions in German.

"Yes, it's true, it's all true," Tempéra replies, annoyed.

"And you're saying it to me like that,"

"Isa, how would you like me to say it?"

"Sorry Isa! Forgive me, Isa! I'm really sorry Isa ... here's how I'd like you to say it," Isabelle retorts, raising her voice. "Have you thought for a moment about the consequences of your actions, their repercussions on me and Gaëlle; and my father, have you thought about that?"

"What do you think?" Tempéra says sarcastically as he goes to sit quietly on the bed behind him.

"Don't count on me or my family to get you out of here!" Isabelle snaps before her hologram immediately disappears.

Tempéra sighs, tilting his head back against the wall.

****

Aside from today, Tempéra has never really thought about the consequences of his actions before this. Yet now, at this present moment, this is all he can think about. He has always paid close attention to the discretion and gullibility of his clients given the fact that their request and his activity are criminal. Therefore, his clients' integrity is just as doubtful as his own. He has never asked for more than a payment in precious minerals to an account abroad and the assurance of their silence for the service duly rendered.

Isabelle is kind, but she always sticks to her word. When she says she won't help him, he should know for sure that she won't lift a finger to get her daughter's father out of jail. His father-in-law, the president of the country, must be mad at him for the headlines in the media. Despite her young age, Gaëlle is quick-witted enough to understand; sooner or later she will hate him too. Nevertheless, the idea of ​​being able to hold her in his arms again inspires him to fight to get out of here. The memory of the smell of her braids and their rough texture against his nose makes him want to beg for forgiveness. Perhaps it is also for her that he enjoys his research so much; one more generation after Gaëlle's. If the lawyer spoke the truth and if the Karims don't return his call, he will never see his daughter again; his work of art.

***

The next day, Tempéra's lawyer comes at the first hour of visits to give him some good news: an American woman will pay his bail in full and assist with an asylum application in the United States on the condition that he starts working immediately for her. Tempéra is confused by the lawyer's suggestion. Yesterday, he was talking about negotiating with Mrs Karim, and today he is talking about an American woman who wants to pay his bail and become his client under conditions. The lawyer confirms that Mrs Karim still hasn't replied, and he strongly believes that she won't respond. Moreover, negotiating with the couple won't guarantee his release nor the possibility for him to practice again. All his research will be lost forever, banned throughout the continent. Exile consists of the only hope for him. Troubled by this sudden change of situation, Tempéra thinks deeply for a moment. His life and whole career are at stake here. He reminds his lawyer that artificial birth is also illegal in the United States, and that his wife and child live here in Togo. The lawyer reassures him that once settled there, he can easily get them to come to him. They will all be under the full protection of their benefactress. He has already told the miraculous client about it and she will accept everything.

Tempéra has never believed in miracles and even less so now. He feels the offer too good to be honest. He has already alienated his own country; does he want to get into more trouble on the other side of the ocean? He suspects that Isa will no longer let himself be tossed about on another continent for the sole purpose of following him and his career. Before maybe, but not anymore. She has probably already started filing a divorce by now. And Gaëlle in all that? Will his daughter disappear forever from his life?

Spending the rest of his life in prison doesn't scare him. He has been acquainted often enough with loneliness and silence in his youth to get to know both of them well, but it is losing years of research that frightens him the most.

"I can't make any hasty decision. Can you come back in a day or two?" Tempéra asks calmly.

The lawyer nods without a word, his gaze still as urgent.

"As you wish. I'll come back tomorrow at the end of the day," the lawyer says, turning on his heels.