Part 18 - Chapter 4: (3/4) The Other World

HUMAN JUSTICE

"You can trust us. Your justice is our business!"

A young woman daydreams in front of the giant screen above her. Her head is completely shaved, she wears the same high-necked metallic black tunic as the man who is addressing the nation on the big flat screen. The American flag is floating in the background like on the doors of the citizens. She has brown skin and the features of many people her age. She should feel proud, but she doesn't. This man is talking about men and women like her, those who hand down iron justice to those who can pay the price for it.

"Hey, Sarah, let's go!" A young man lays a heavy, firm hand on her shoulder. It's Stephan, her twin brother. Even at his age, he still has the same mischievous smile as in his childhood. As long as he holds out, she will hold out too. She follows him silently.

***

Hands crossed behind their back, Stephan and Sarah stand solemnly in front of a large desk where a man in his thirties is sitting. The man has dark greying hair, and a stern look that never seems to leave his face. He scrutinises silently the two young people staring at the flag behind him. Suddenly, someone knocks on the door.

"Come in Jeremy," the man sitting at the desk orders firmly. Stephan and Sarah don't flinch.

The young man walks in. He doesn't seem surprised by the two other young people who are turning their back at him. He was told that he was going to work with two siblings named Stephan and Sarah Xi Huang. Jeremy's posture is proud, he is wearing the same high-necked metallic black uniform as Stephan and Sarah, and his head is shaved also. Instead of dark glasses, he now has some sort of smoked visor covering his eyes, attached to his ears. He glances at Stephan and Sarah very briefly and marvels at how precisely both their hearts are beating synchronously.

"Come closer," the man commands.

Jeremy immediately comes forward to stand by Sarah's side. He takes the same posture as the other two young people.

"As you know, agents always work in teams of three, six or nine depending on the mission," the man sitting begins before turning to Sarah and Stephan to address them specifically: "Since you've joined us more than six months ago, you've only been working the two of you," he continues in a dry voice, then he adds: "You're doing an excellent job, but it's high time that we completed your team. It turns out that Mr Jeremy Ridley, who's just joined our forces, will be a perfect teammate for you."

The three young people remain silent and motionless while the man continues, still addressing the siblings:

"The nation is counting on all three of you," he gives them a smirk, then he exclaims: "Thank you, you can go."

"Thank you Mr. Vaughen," The three young people say simultaneously before leaving the room.

The three young people leave the room in silence. Once the door is closed behind them, Jeremy turns to Stephan and Sarah to talk to them, but he has barely opened his mouth that Stephan suddenly speeds up his pace to continue his way, exclaiming sarcastically:

"You never change a winning team."

Sarah stops to apologise for her brother's behaviour to Jeremy with a simple smile.

"It'll take him some time to get used to it. I'm Sarah and he's..."

"Stephan, I know. Sarah and Stephan Xi Huang," Jeremy says, scrutinising the young woman's facial features.

For the last few weeks, the young man has learnt to dissociate the world around him quite differently like before the accident, but still differently. Shapes, colours, Temperature and vibrations of living bodies seem all new, yet strangely familiar to him. It isn't just sight that he has been given back, but the ability to see and catch the multiple opportunities he passes through.

"We can talk over our meal," Jeremy continues, concluding that Sarah's face is certainly one of the most beautiful he has ever seen.

"Sorry, my meal is in the evening so that I can eat with my family. Besides, I need to go. Maybe another time," Sarah replies with an embarrassed smile, wondering if he has noticed how weirdly she is looking at him.

It will take the young woman some time to get used to those hidden eyes that seem to look nowhere. She fears the young man might get upset if she starts their first introduction by asking him what happened to his eyes. He is undoubtedly part of this visible minority group, victim of many prejudices. She doesn't want to come across as ignorant, curious, or ill-mannered.

"See you at practice then," Sarah says, smiling timidly before walking away.