Side Story 2 - Message Received

April 3, 518

Somewhere in the Great Wasteland

Despite the potentially concerning date and location log, my wellbeing is in good state. Although, that would assume one would perhaps discover this journal one day after my passing. Oh, there I go on a tangent once more...

I, Professor Statulock Mixelpuss at the grand age of 73, am recording what may perhaps be the most intriguing entry in my legacy, assuming this work is to be found. Many years ago, I departed Mixtopia, the town intending to unite all Mixels but falling short in its low population and segregated tribes. Alas, I have heard the murmurings that it has now blossomed into the grand city of Mixopolis, a bustling utopia that has fallen down the same trappings.

For many moons, I wandered the plains of the world, engrossing myself in the natural landscapes of our planet and experiencing the cultures of the many tribes living in the more historic parts of Planet Mixel. The past three years, however, have been less kind. I would learn from the few Mixels left behind that the majority of the species had emigrated to the fair city. Wandering from settlement to settlement, I found myself more isolated by the day. My diagnosis hadn't helped either as the days counted down...

Ahem, no need for myself to be a downer. I turned to my research journals that I had brought with me, taking upon a personal mission to discover what the many Mixamals I had only ever witnessed through the limiting words of what others had documented. After many long nights exploring the world, I was tempted to return to the fair town, but I halted before its skyline. It was unrecognizable as what I once knew. With a sigh, I turned around, hobbling along for miles.

That's when I ended up here, in this meek clearing. It is remarkable that natural life can spring up in this barren place, even if only a single Coconapple tree with some red grass acting as a bed for the lonely flora. As I sat under it and turned to my journal, at least it doesn't remain alone for just one night, trapped in this wasteland of dried stone and gorges leading away from the fair city.

Flipping page after page, I finally came across something I had never seen. The undocumented and mysterious 'Pippy'. Ah, a fellow professor had first 'discovered' this species. Let's see here... vaguely shaped like a cloud, yet no detailed size or color... only that it had wings, was sighted somewhere in Mixel Land and vanished upon being called out to. Well, he did not have the greatest memory, so I cannot fault him for these absent details.

...It may be possible this creature was a forgery, but it intrigues me. Discovering a Mixamal would be something truly remarkable to be remembered by. If it exists, perhaps I should document it. Sure, I do not know much of it... but I must try. And so, that is where this journal began. This will detail my journey to uncover the 'Pippy'. Ho, this feels like the old days already. Ah, back when I was the top of the line in research, when Mixtopia Middle School erected a statue in my honor...

Er, I'm getting sidetracked. The lightbulb sun is setting. Tomorrow I will begin my journey to Mixel Land.

*** *** ***

April 4, 518

Under a tongue-wood tree in the Saliva Rainforest

Lixers... I do wonder how their rainforest sprung up in such a desolate area? All around the saliva-rain drowned sea of tongue-wood trees is a barren sight, the occasional formation of rocks to gauge the slightest interest. Our planet's geography is a mystery, although I have my theories. Mixtopia was constructed on a crater, of whom's desolation appears to span for lands. Perhaps whatever blew such a hole in our world many centuries ago had a chaotic pattern of destruction, narrowly avoiding the Lixer habitat I began my journey stepping through.