Chapter 6 - The Light, the Shadow, and the Gray

Hundreds of years ago...

A tiny Mixamal lurked among scenic bushes and miniscule cog-pebbles. With it's fly-trap face and meek, studded paws, it sniffed around until a shadow loomed over it, making the creature retreat into the shrubbery it had been lurking in. The source of this was a Mixel, one that was white with golden highlights brandishing a lengthy double-pronged staff. Kneeling down, she extended a hand out, the Mixamal returning to sniff her fingers as she smiled. Creatures of Planet Mixel were truly distinct beings, hybrids of many things in a pure display of creation. No more was this clearer than here as the Brightspark Mixel patted the Mixamal.

"Sister, come along. We have our duties to attend to." Another Mixel coated in metallic gold armament said to her as the Mixamal was startled, rushing off into the foliage. "A-at once, brother. Apologies, I was..." She began. "Admiring the creatures of this world? Heh, I cannot fault you for that, Illumeena. I have caught Flaresca doing the same. We shall have plenty of time to marvel in the creations of the Maximum Mixel and the Naximum Nixel once our work is done. Come along." Refraixen said, trailing off as Illumeena frowned.

Brightsparks were far more powerful than the average Mixel, gifted with control over the celestial element of light - one that allowed access to abilities only the wildest of Mixes could dream of. Refraixen could manipulate light in a way that allowed him to warp the appearance of any object, and Flaresca could use their light to peer into the souls of any creature, but, Illumeena had a power - no, a curse - that allowed her the most tragic ability of all: the foresight of all that would come - destiny.

Illumeena had known for a while that herself and the other two Brightsparks were going to perish, but it hadn't been quite clear to her until she had witnessed the Naximum Nixel's attempts of creation. Horrid, vile and twisted entities that warped the light around them, bringing forth destruction wherever they went. It was then that she peered into the future of the Naximum Nixel, knowing they would be obliterated with a weapon created by the three Brightsparks, one that took away their lives in the act of forging.

She knew time was running out. The Maximum Mixel had already announced their intentions to leave for the cosmos once the world had been perfected, a utopia of creation. Jealousy would corrupt the Naximum Nixel as they watched their brother incinerate their spawns of destruction, deeming them unfit for the world.

When the time was right, she would inform her siblings of what would need to be done, but not now. Following after her brother, she knew there was too much hope for the world that would be crushed if her visions were to be recited. All she could do was appreciate everything they were guiding in the short time that remained.

The lines of destiny were out of anyone's control, even from the beings of the stars such as the Maximum Mixel.

Now...

Cradling their head with two of their four arms, the grand Maximum Mixel stumbled backwards in a state of overwhelmed emotions. They had never anticipated M.C.'s response to his past. "It was... destiny... He was always going to learn of his origins, yet he was devastated." A remnant of Illumeena's power still existed in the Maximum Mixel, and they had used it to peer into fragments of the future long ago.

What they had foreseen was a tale of disaster. M.C. would have learned of his origins without their guidance regardless, but by the word of their creator. They had believed if M.C. was to be told by someone other than that, crisis would be averted and the planet would be saved. However, no one else could possibly know M.C.'s history, so if someone were to tell, it would have to be them. Even if it defied the limitations of interaction they had set themself with the planet.

What they had not prepared for was befriending the Mixel. They had expected it to be an in-and-out mission akin to their many acts of upkeep they had performed in keeping the Brightsparks' temple safe over the years, but the antics of M.C. and the Mixels he had met along the way roped them in, and before long, they had made a true friend. One that had been hurt by their lies.