Chapter 21

The Crown Prince could not answer my question immediately.

Actually, I was not curious about his answer, so I did not wait and continued.

"How could His Highness not know how it would look in the eyes of others for an unmarried man and woman to exchange gifts in such a manner?"

"I've thought about it that deeply. I swear that I never intentionally tried to hurt you, not even a little."

The Crown Prince looked at me and bowed his head with a look of shame.

I sighed.

I don't know how this happened.

I planned to just compromise today and send him on his way after we made up, but as we talked, I felt emotional.

Unless I tried to fight him, this way of accusing and biting off the other person wasn't the least bit helpful.

An engagement with the royal family was not something that could be broken selfishly, and the Duke of Lillian was currently on the same boat as the Crown Prince.

I would have to see him for a long time to come, but from now on, if I befriended him, it might not be good for me either.

The only one who would benefit was Claire.

I never wanted to see her happy face.

I sighed and opened my mouth.

"I don't mean to blame His Highness, so there's no need to be so nervous. However, I would like you to restrain yourself a bit from now on."

The Crown Prince raised his head and looked at me. His blue eyes sparkled.

I averted his gaze and continued.

"I hope you will remember that the more affection His Highness shows for Young Lady Claire, the more it hurts my reputation as I am your fiancée."

"I promise."

"I'm glad. I'm a Princess, and I don't want to be ridiculed by a daughter of a Baron."

The Crown Prince's face, which was softened earlier, crumpled.

"Now...does that mean that such things have happened more than once or twice?"

He asked me with a look of disbelief on his face.

"Not once or twice. She's been doing it all this time."

"I didn't know. Why didn't you tell me?"

The Crown Prince asked,

I had my doubts, but it didn't really matter.

Either he knew and kept quiet about it, or he was tricked by Claire and really didn't know.

Things had already happened and the hurt that Roxana had suffered would never be able to be erased.

And to not know about what Roxana had been suffering for two years meant that the Crown Prince was that indifferent to her. Or that he was too careless.

The answer to my thoughts should be closer to the former, but neither was pleasing.

"What difference does it make to say it?"

" What do you mean? Of course you should have told me."

I asked, to which the Crown Prince replied with a frustrated look on his face.

I don't know if it was an act or if he was serious, but the current Crown Prince seemed to be greatly disappointed with the other side of Claire.

He also seemed to feel guilty about me.