Chapter 9

"I'm fine......."

I replied dazedly and then looked at him as I set the cup down.

"Good."

Stephen took a sip of his tea with a nonchalant face.

'Yes. I knew that look. It's too cold to be glad. Talking with that look on your face sounds like a threat.'

I grumbled inwardly.

However, his current attitude gave me hope that maybe we could improve this awkward relationship. Stephen was stubborn, but Roxana wasn't well behaved either, so their relationship was a conflict, like water and oil.

But Stephen had never said anything wrong. His words were far from the sweetest compliments like the nannies and maids of honor had ever said to Roxana, but when I thought about it, they were all for Roxana's sake.

Roxana didn't really hate him, either. I didn't hate him either, he was so straightforward but sincere.

"Thank you for your concern."

"...!"

Stephen was silent for a moment, but after a few seconds he replied in an awkward voice .

"You thank me a lot today."

I chuckled.

"Is that so?"

Actually, Roxana had never thanked Stephen before because of her pride. But then again, I wasn't her.

"'Thank you' is not that difficult to say, so why should I refrain from saying it?"

"..."

Stephen looked at me with a complicated face.

Lacking the courage to meet his gaze head on, I purposely ignored him and brought the teacup to my lips. When there was no more tea left, I set the cup down on the table and finally spoke.

"I would like to reinstate the head maid, is that possible?"

Stephen's face hardened again at my words. He stared at me with a look of profound uncertainty on his face.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes."

My answer caused Stephen's eyes to widen.

He looked at me with even more astonishment than before.

I stared at the front of the room with an unconcerned look on my face. But that didn't stop Stephen's gaze from leaving me.

"I heard you sent Viscount William's daughter away."

"That's right."

"May I ask why?

Stephen still looked astonished.

His inquiring gaze seemed to gauge my intentions.

"It wasn't enough that she went out without permission, she underestimated her master, so I kicked her out. I have no need for a servant who takes their masters lightly."

"......!"

I answered as I always did, but my voice sounded surprisingly cold and arrogant, even to myself. Perhaps that was why Stephen's face went stiff.

"It is in the same vein that I want to bring the head maid again. It seems that the rules of the house have been loosened recently."

Stephen was silent.

I looked back at what I had just said and regretted it, wondering if perhaps I made a mistake.

Come to think of it, it was Stephen who was in charge of the mansion.