Chapter 16

"What's going on? You came back early."

When I asked her, she looked at me uncomfortably.

She looked even worse than when I had seen her a few days ago.

The color under her eyes had turned even darker and she looked thinner. I glanced at the tray she was holding.

This was originally done by maids and servants, so there was no need for a nanny to do it.

Moreover, the nanny was extremely arrogant, although she always pretended to feel sorry for Roxana in front of her.

She had never done such chores herself since Roxana grew a little older.

There was no way that she could have changed her mind and become serious overnight when she had let her servant take care of Roxana.

I looked coldly at the nanny who was placing the breakfast on the table.

She smiled a little reluctantly when her eyes met mine.

Seeing her doing that in front of me now, it was obvious that she still hadn't resolved the accident that happened a few days ago.

I smiled in vain at her transparent behavior. After facing her early in the morning, I lost my appetite, but I sat down with a calm look on my face.

The food was fortunately delicious despite my lack of appetite because the chef's cooking skills were excellent.

The sweet potato soup was sweet and soft, and I could taste the butter flavor straight from the bread. The salad topped with cheese was fresh, and the steak with wine sauce was light and tender.

Throughout the meal, the nanny's gaze was fixed on me. She must have something to say because her lips were wavering, but I pretend not to pay attention.

I finished my meal without even looking at her. After eating, I left my seat.

"Where are you going, young lady?"

"Take a short walk."

I replied kindly, slowly turning back to the nanny.

I was a little tired from the previous day, but the thought of being alone in the room with her was suffocating me.

"I'll come with you. Would you like to have a cup of tea in the garden?"

"No, thank you. I just ate. I'll go alone and let the nanny rest."

I refused very gently and firmly.

"Young lady, please take this parasol with you."

Annie said, giving me the parasol. I walked out of the room immediately, leaving the embarrassed nanny behind.

The garden, a harmonious blend of green grass and white gravel, was in full bloom with a variety of colorful flowers. I headed for the rose garden through the path of blue hydrangeas with my parasol.

There was a fountain in the center of the rose garden, and benches were set up under the shade of trees for people to relax.

The red petals were so fresh, covered with morning dew. The morning air was still chilly, but it was refreshing and fragrant.

Looking at the flowers under the open sky with the cool breeze blowing, I felt as if all my worries were lifted.

I had a novel from the Duchess's study and sat down under the shade of the largest tree.

As time passed, the sun rose high and the midday sun fell sharply.

I was so engrossed in my reading that I lost track of time.