Chapter 24 - In shock

Start from the beginning

"Everything's in the bedroom."

By the time the ambulance arrived, Luke had packed everything. He had a word with the paramedics about going to the New York hospital instead of the local one.

They checked Alec's neck first, put a temporary bandage on it, and then left.

At the hospital, the doctor treated Alec's neck. Cleaned it, disinfected it, stitched it up and then they got a room.

"That policeman did his best to put you in the same room." said the nurse as she led them into the room.

"A policeman will be outside your door at all times. You will be safe. Now I'm going to give you both an infusion. You're dehydrated. There's a little sedative in there too. You'll be asleep soon. Please lie down and I'll put the infusion in your arm."

The nurse did her job, put in the infusion for both of them, covered them up. She smiled at them. "If you need anything else, just ring the bell and I'll be right there."

"Thank you."

The nurse walked out.

"Does it still hurt a lot Alexander?" Magnus turned to Alec's bed.

"It hurts. But I can take it as long as you're here with me." he said, and held out his hand to Magnus. Magnus held out his hand too. The ends of their fingers were barely touching between the two beds.

"Okay, I can't handle this." Magnus sat up in bed, then stood up.

"Magnus what are you doing?" the infusion is on you.

"I'm going over in your bed. Move over a bit." he said as he started to push the infusion stand next to him. He snuggled in next to Alec. Alec lay on his back, more comfortable because of his wound. Magnus was on his side. He put his hand on Alec's chest, resting his head on Alec's shoulder.

"Now it's good. I don't hurt you this way, doesn't it hurt when I cuddle with you?"

"No. I'm happy you came over." Magnus kissed Alec's cheek, then they both fell into a deep sleep.

The nurse came in 2 hours later to take the dripped infusion out of their hands. She smiled when she saw them cuddled up in Alec's bed. She decided not to wake them. Carefully, she pulled the needle out of Magnus' hand, then Alec's. The sedative made them sleep so deeply that they didn't wake up. She pulled up the half-slipped blanket and covered them gently, then went outside.

It was late afternoon when Alec woke up. He opened his eyes, blinked a few times. Then he saw Maryse by his bed.

"Son, I was so worried. Luke told me everything. How are you? Does it hurt much?"

Alec swallowed. His throat was very dry. "I'm okay mom, Magnus saved my life. If he hadn't acted so quickly, I wouldn't be here right now. I've never been so scared."

Maryse took Alec's hand. "It's over. It's over now."

"Mom, how did they know where we were?"

"Luke will be in to tell you all about it soon. The doctor said you have to stay here until Monday."

Magnus then began to wake up, and opened his eyes.

"Hi mom, good to see you" he smiled at her.

Maryse stroked Magnus' hand. "Thank you for saving Alec."

"I was so scared. I was terrified of losing him."

"It's over now, you have to get some rest."

There was a knock at the door. Ragnor entered. He saw them in bed, rushed over and hugged them both.

"Boys, I've been worried sick about you. Don't do this to me again."

"Ragnor, I'm so glad you're here. Are Snowflake and the little ones all right?"

"Yes. Don't worry. Everything is fine."

"Mom, this is Ragnor. I work for him."

"Thank you for taking care of my son." said Maryse

They told Ragnor everything.

"You've been through a terrible situation. You need to rest. I have to go. I'll come again tomorrow. One more thing. Magnus, do you want to keep any of the kittens? I know someone who'd want some."

"Mr Meow. He stays."

"Did you name him? Which one is he?"

"Alexander named him. Mr. Meow chose him as his human. The one with the tabby paw."

"This looks like the beginning of a serious relationship." Ragnor smiled at them and said goodbye.

Luke arrived soon after.

"We weren't bored during the week you were away. We got all the gang members. One kept all the information on his computer. Names, amounts. We have all the evidence. They were bribing judges and extorting them. Edom law firm's clients were involved. This is how a lighter sentence was given to the criminals. In exchange for a large payment, of course. The Bureau has an account in the Cayman Islands. That's where they kept the dirty money. Alec, I'm sorry to say your father was involved in the crime. He handled the finances, he did the extortion and bribery. teh gang worked for him. It started with Magnus' case. Since the gang had no money, they paid your father with their loyalty. From then on, they did the dirty work. Your father's landing tomorrow morning at 11 am. His details are already at the airport. He'll be arrested there immediately. I'm sorry, son." Luke said, patting Alec on the shoulder.

"No problem. I don't feel anything. Not even pity. Just disgust. After all, I didn't want to work in that law firm anyway."

"And Camille? Was she involved?" Magnus asked

"Yes. Plus, the bastard who found you guys got the info from her. Camille was the only one who knew where you were hiding, she knew the place. We arrested her too.

"What about Rac.... does mom know about it, Luke?"

"Yes dear, I know about it, no problem"

"No relatives but you and Izzy. A social worker took her to the orphanage. Camille didn't really care. She hasn't asked about her child since."

Magnus squeezed Alec's hand and smiled encouragingly. They didn't say anything, but they understood each other without words.

"Guys, Luke and I are going away, I'll come back tomorrow. Shall I get you something delicious? Oh, and Magnus, the bread Luke brought was heavenly."

" Mom, can you make us some soup?" Alec asked

"And can you bring some vegetable fried rice?" Asked Magnus

"Yes, I'll be here with them for lunch tomorrow. You need to rest now. Both of you need to sleep."