Chapter 3

It has been a very hectic day mehn! After school, we went to the dining for a meal of Garri and Egusi soup - which wasn't as bad as I had expected although not as nice as home one- after which was the compulsory siesta.

     We were to have evening classes so immediately after the one-hour siesta ( which by the way I didn't use to sleep), I had my bath and dressed in my day wear.

     All students wear a navy blue check material as day wear. For girls, it was a straight cut gown with a bold belt that went all around. For guys, it was the check shirt with navy blue trousers for senior boys and navy blue shorts for junior boys.

     Well, back to what I was saying. We left the hostel by a few minutes to four and by the time we reached class, the bell had been rung for the evening class.

     The evening class ended by 6 and immediately after was night food which consisted of white yam and what they called egg sauce. All I could see were pieces of fried egg floating in red water😭. Nene, Eric, and I left the dining after a failed attempt at eating.

     Right now we were all in class and it was almost time for prep. There was an ongoing argument on who our prep supervisor for the term could be.
   "Maybe it will be Snr. Phil " Ronke said and almost all the girls responded with " Awwn". Seems like he was popular among the girls sha.
   "Hmmm abeg! Let it be a female prep supervisor joor." Peter said
   "Ehen womanizer. Why won't you say so? Have you forgotten that female prefects are so wicked cause dem no de fear to punish anybody?"

   Soon everyone was voicing out their own opinions about which prefect they wished will be our prep prefect.
   " What if we get Snr. Castro?" Kola said when everywhere was a bit quiet. In reply, there was a loud session of  "God forbid's" and "Back to sender".

     I felt like reminding those that said "back to sender" that Kola was our classmate and sending it back to him meant we still get Snr. Castro😹😹 but I was too shocked by their outburst and had to ask why.
   "Why else do you think he got the Labour Prefect post? Snr. Castro is pure evil, very malicious and..." Ronke kept talking and the class suddenly became eerily quiet apart from Ronke who kept ranting. I looked at the entrance of the class and noticed Snr. Castro, Snr. Right and Snr. Daniel. Talk about DEAD!!

     We were trying to give Ronke sign to shut up but she didn't understand until Snr. Castro spoke.
   "Get down on your knees all of you"
   I'm sure Ronke would have fainted out of shock🤣🤣. The look on her face would have been funny if I didn't have to kneel down.

     The remaining two seniors left, confirming everyone's fear of Snr. Castro being our supervisor.
   "We are so dead" Nene whispered to me as Snr. Castro went to the already vacated chair at the back of the class.

     We kept kneeling for almost 30 minutes before he released us. My knee was already aching and my eyes stung like hell😢. The rest of the prep continued without further incidence. The class was as quiet as it could be which was totally weird for a normally noisy class like this. I swear I couldn't hear even the flipping of books or shuffling of feet.

   "SS2D" Snr. Castro said.
     "Yes Senior!" we replied
   "You all know I'll be your prep supervisor for this term. I have my rules. They are simple but very easy to break. First, as you all know, no noise making. Secondly, let this class always be neat, and thirdly, don't shuffle your feet cause it really disturbs me. I think that's all. If there are more, you will hear of them during the course of the term"

          _______________________________

   "Nna eh, this prep was not even funny sef" Nene sulked as we walked back to the hostel after prep. We were walking with some of our classmates but my mind was not there. I was still trying to understand the kind of stupid crush I was having on Snr. Castro that made me spend almost my entire prep gawking at him😩.

      I had noticed a lot of things about him in just one night. Firstly, I noticed that he solved without a calculator, then I noticed the way his brows furrowed thickly in a cute way when he deeply concentrated.
  I also noticed how he seemed to nibble on his left thumb when he was reading but he never chewed his nails cause they were all grown out.
    Oh! Vanessa, get some sense into your thick skull. You've seen firsthand how annoying he can be... no, annoying doesn't explain clearly... it's more like wicked than annoying.

     "Oh, why do I have to crush on the wrong guy😭??" I said...wait! Did I just say that out loud??😱
   "Hia! Nessa, who is the crush?" Chioma my side asked
   "Nobody oh!" I said too quickly and added a fake laugh
   "Taa! Like I didn't see you starting at Snr. Castro like he was your dinner" Nene said and if it wasn't so dark I'm sure my cheeks would have been tomato red.
    "Ohhhm! You people should leave me naw" I said.

     We got to the hostel but it was still locked. The night was quite chill and I couldn't wait to get inside and snuggle under my warm blankets.

              ____________________________

     It's been 3 weeks since I've been in school and I have to say it has been enjoyable. Although, Snr. Castro was getting more and more annoying and I always seemed to be on the receiving end of his wrath.

     Once I was on duty to sweep the class for that day and the class was dirty during prep. Well, the bottom line is that we swept JSS1 classes for two days😭.
      The other time, I could swear that I was the only one being disturbed by mosquitoes that night and I ended up shuffling my feet a lot. He noticed that too and my punishment was to pull off my slippers and keep them on my locker through out the remaining prep and mind you, the tiles were not warm.

     That one aside godi, I had managed to make enemies out of some SS3 girls in the hostel. It wasn't exactly my fault sha. Let's just say they got what they asked for.

               ( flashback to the day)

     It was the afternoon after school and we were in the hostel. There was only one tap functioning at the moment and considering the hot weather, everyone wanted to have their bath and wash too so the tap was congested. I had waited patiently till it got to my turn and after fetching the 5 buckets I came with, my bunky (bunkmate) carried two upstairs to our room while I remained down to watch over the remaining 3.
     Next thing I saw, one Snr. Rita like that just came with her empty buckets and asked a junior girl with her to transfer my hard earned water into her buckets. Shey dis one don de craze abhi na wetin? ( This one is running mad or something right?)
      I politely told her the water was mine and I intended using it. She just pretended like she wasn't hearing me and tried transferring the water. I snatched the handle of the bucket away from her hand and told her to leave it alone. She was so shocked that she was frozen in the position she was. My bunky came back and I ordered her to carry 2 while I carried the last one. Snr. Rita tried dragging me back but she hit a stone and fell. I laughed hysterically as I carried my water🤣🤣.
               (End of flashback)

Well since that day, she and all her friends have been looking for a way to deal with me but e no go work. ( It won't work).
So far my stay has been awesome and I don't regret begging for this experience.

Hey there lovely readers, I know y'all are still few and I got kinda discouraged but I had to remind myself that writing makes me happy and it doesn't matter how many reads I get... okay I lied, the reads actually matter😹😹. But please try to comment, help me correct errors and please hit up the star icon so Star Dust can become a star😁. I love y'all
Muaaaaah😘

                             Khimora Carter😊