CHAPTER 27

I had returned to the castle, to Primrose and Cecile and the younger girls. Adalyn, Bernadette, and Lark. They cried over Agnes. I couldn't cry, and Sabine wouldn't show up.

I ignored them all and went to Primrose, who looked at me in rightfully placed anger.

"What?" she said, voice raspy. "You've killed Agnes now. Are you happy? You were tricked by the men! The humans!"

"I know."

She slapped me, and somehow, it felt relieving. She must've wanted to do it for twenty years. I turned my head back to face her, and tears came from her glare.

"You were always everything!" she spat. "The world revolved around you! You were our everything, and I would've been fine if you didn't keep pulling Sabine into your horrid plans!"

"I am sorry."

"I hope you die. I hope you leave Jardin and we will never see you again!"

"You're right. That's a very good plan." I was calm, and took in all her anger. Her tears subsided and she sniffed as she calmed down too.

"Leave. Leave and never come back."

"I want you to tell Sabine I am sorry."

"No, I won't."

"I believe in you. I've hurt you, and I'm sorry. But you're a sister I care about."

"No. Be quiet. Shut your mouth."

"I do."

Primrose was quiet. "Sometimes I think of when we were younger, that one time I played with you and Sabine, how we could've been—if you didn't become Queen and be like, like this!"

A shadow moved and I turned just in time she stepped out. Cecile. She was hanging her head.

"Margery, please leave with me, together."

"No, we may go the same way, but I will not be with those humans any longer. I can't stand being with someone who tricked me." I looked away at the stone walls.

"You'll not be safe leaving alone!" Cecile came into our circle, just Primrose and I. "We need the human men to hid us, lie and say we are their wives or relatives. Just until we leave Jardin, please!"

"I won't stand it. I can't," I whispered. And I knew I couldn't. I won't ever see those eyes and that face without feeling betrayal. I had thought he was an Angel. Thought he would save me, be what my mother sang about in her lies.

"Margery!" Cecile pleaded.

"I'll be bringing the girls with me." I turned to Adalyn, Bernadette, and Lark. "You three are coming with me, you hear? You'll be wearing bonnets and listen to me."

"What?" Primrose snapped out of her anger. "Why are you taking them?"

"There's no more Butterfly Clan, Primrose. You're right, I was tricked and ended my own clan, but I will take responsibility and save them, if not Sabine and you."

"How? You might be lynched!" Cecile said.

"Well, then that's God's will," I taunted. I always hated that saying.

"What do you plan to do?"

"I don't want them to be here. I want to find my mother—Elsie, and Edith. I'll wander in eternity if I have to. And I'll be lonely, so these girls are coming with me."

"You don't get to take them!" Primrose argued.

"Who's Queen Butterfly?" I smiled. "If I want, I can have Selma and Rowena servile. I can have you thrown in the dungeon."