CHAPTER 18

The next morning we had a meeting, both the entirety of the Butterfly Clan sans the younger girls, and the researchers.

"You men have brought more than trouble to us," Agnes snarled. "I think it is time for you to leave."

"No!" Dr Gregoire stood up. "In the contract you promised us until spring—you can't possibly give us incomplete data we can't work with!"

"Didn't you see the ruckus you caused us yesterday night?"

"We helped you out, did we not?" Yves said, hooded eyes narrowed in fury. "Either way, we will not be leaving."

"You men think you can barge into our castle and do what you want?" Agnes's hand on the table was a fist. "I've been waiting, been calm, given you and my girls chances again and again and this is what I get in return?"

"Please Madame Agnes," Uriel began, calmer than his party, "we do understand and want to thank you for all the liberty you've given us. If such a thing happens again, we want to be able to protect you."

"Protect?" Agnes pointed at the broken window, which was now heavily covered by thick curtains. We usually used curtains anyways, but since the humans came we started to let the moonlight in occasionally. "You had them attack us!"

"We were only outside, we didn't realize they would be upset that Miss Margery and Miss Cecile came to town."

"Then maybe you should think next time before you plan something as worthless!"

"But you go to town—"

"I have my credentials. I have lived in Jardin, in our Butterfly castle, for decades and decades. They know me, and fear me."

It made sense. Agnes had been going to town as our leader, and they understood she was not part of them, only coming and going like a wolf appearing to grab a rabbit or so. But we—Cecile and my appearance felt like integration. They feared us merging into them, being imposters in their utopian village.

"Now, hurry and pack your items."

The men looked amongst themselves and just as Dr.Gregoire's mouth opened again to beg her, Cecile spoke up.

"Mother—please let them stay."

Agnes looked up cooly, ready to strike Cecile as she spoke out of turn. But she went on, voice trembling.

"They are all that we have to keep the townspeople from returning. They'll know we can't do anything if you let them go, and attack us. Or, worse case, they'll think we hurt the men in some way and even if they speak up for us, they'll think they've been seduced and come attack us anyway."

Agnes narrowed her eyes.

"How dare you speak against me."

"No, Madame Agnes!"

This time Dr.Gregoire stood up and walked over, where Cecile sat. He stood behind her like a knight, gallant despite his usual timid scholarly air.

"It was all us to blame. We are willing to do anything if it would soothe your nerves or make up for our lack of—thought. In hindsight, we shouldn't have done such a foolish thing and endangered you and your girls. We deeply apologize."

"As you should," Selma said. But then she realized everyone was quiet, and it wasn't the time for retorts. She hushed up.

"Very well!" I spoke first. "If you are really sorry, then you wouldn't mind me having Yves come over to the tower, would you?"

All the heads turned. Uriel had his brows furrowed, but then slowly understood my intent.

"Yves, it was your idea, too, that we should go outside and have fun." I leaned forward with a sly smile. "If anything, we should punish him."