heart

I woke up that morning to the smell of smoke and the blaring of the fire alarm. Jumping from my bed sheets I ran towards the kitchen still in a sleepy daze. Standing there in front of the sink, Daniel ran the tap water over a smoking pot while muttering swear words underneath his breath.

My brain couldn't even process the scene before me, I just stood there dumbfounded until I eventually burst into laughter. Daniel jumped at the sound of my chuckles and dropped the pan into the sink. Turning towards me, he kept his gaze towards the ground and rubbed at the back of his neck.

"You see, I was trying to make us some breakfast but it didn't really turn out well," he admitted in defeat.

I gave him a warm smile and walked to the sink. Sitting in the pot, drowned in water were two eggs burnt to a black crisp. The smell was atrocious, yet I still couldn't help but smile at him. This was the last thing I expected to wake up to after all that had happened yesterday.

"What are you doing, you should be resting. Are you feeling better?"

He grimaced and immediately shook his head, "Oh god no, I probably got like three hours of sleep last night and I threw up twice that number. I just figured I owed you at least some breakfast."

I smiled at his kind words and surprising both him and myself, I wrapped my arms around him in a tight hug making my heart skip a couple beats.

As soon as I had embraced him, I was already pulling myself back muttering apologies but Daniel immediately shut me up by drawing me back into his chest. He held me tightly, as if he was afraid I'd disappear right then and there. As if I was all he had in that moment, and it filled me with so much peace. I felt okay for a second, okay to be vulnerable and to hold onto something.

"Thank you Elle, I really mean it. After all the trouble I've put you through, I'm just so happy that I have you in my life right now."

Lifting my head from his chest I looked up at his face. His skin was still that sickly pale colour, while his eyes sunk into deep purple and yellow pits. Beads of sweat lined his forehead, yet I could feel his body trembling in my arms. He was in such bad shape, but the look in the eyes made my heart soften. It was a look of hope and determination, Daniel was finally ready to get better for himself.

I think that was all I needed, to see the strength in someone else to find my own.