try

Closing my eyes, I focused in on the sound of my heart beat. It was a simple motion. Just lift my arm and pull the door open, an action so easy yet my hands remained glued to my sides. 

I had seen a flyer on the street the other day with a list of several different support groups and I figured this would be a great second step. I tried convincing Daniel to attend the one for addicts but he just wasn't so ready yet.

"Uhh excuse me miss, are you heading in?"

I was startled by the soft voice behind me. I turned around to see a friendly smile and welcoming hazel eyes. 

"Oh- uh yea. Sorry about that," I said nervously running my fingers through my hair.

She smiled brighter at me and extended her hand for a shake, "My name's Amara."

I awkwardly put my hand into hers giving it a weak shake, "Elle."

I knew for a fact my palms were disgustingly sweaty, but I just hoped she wouldn't take notice. Amara, her name matched her looks, beautiful and unique. Her skin was a rich brown that allowed her bright eyes and full head of red curls to stand out dramatically. Her ears were lined with numerous piercing along with a couple on her face.

She looked cool.

Amara and I walked into the room together and she took a seat right beside me. There were about twenty or so chairs spread out to form a circle. I guess Amara and I must've been the last few because almost all the seats had been taken.

So many faces of so many different people. I overestimated my ability to speak out my horrors in front of a bunch of strangers, and I so desperately wanted to take off sprinting but I couldn't.

I need this.