gone

It's been two weeks since I've last seen Daniel.

Everyday I stepped out of the music store I'd anticipate the lanky boy to be atop his same old oak, only to be left disappointed.

Was he avoiding me?

Was he mad at me?

I thought through all possible scenarios, hoping to find some sort of rational answer but it was all futile effort. Daniel had stayed unusually quiet that day I had taken him to the café. Something had changed sometime during our encounter. After we had finished up I bid farewell, telling him I'd hopefully see him the next day, but he didn't even crack his usual smile. He simply nodded his head and took off in the opposite direction. That was the last time I saw him.

I was so confused, I simply couldn't focus my mind. So many thoughts and fears raced around in my head driving me to madness. What had I done this time? Why was I so incapable of maintaining a simple friendship?

Deep down I knew this was all my own doing, it was time coming back to haunt me for my past. I thought running away and isolating myself would allow me to start fresh, but I could never outrun my past. It will wait until I've settled myself into a comfortable routine, establish something worthwhile, and begin to feel somewhat happy again, to come back and haunt me.

I'll forever be alone.