Prologue

You can do this. He'll...appreciate your concern, right?

Ghrange had been standing outside the Master's room for almost 15 minutes contemplating if he should really do this. The uncertainty had been eating at him for days ever since the plan was made and announced to the clan. Everyone seemed to believe that it was genius.

Except him.

He had tried pushing this issue to the back of his mind, but he couldn't find the sense in doing so. Something didn't sit right with him, and he was finally going to bring up his concern.

He stared at the tan tapestry that sported the crimson upside down Sheikah eye that hung on the doorway. He still had no idea how it would really go, knowing Master Kanto, but he had faith that it would be ok.

Ghrange took a deep breath, and walked in.

The room was decently sized. The Master's bed was on the far wall, a long table for maps, books and notes were to the left, and then to the right was... the shrine. Master Kanto had made an elaborate shrine with murals, songs of praise as well as other memorabilia pertaining to the great evil that helped birth the clan: Ganon. Master Kanto was there when Ghrange walked in. He was on his knees muttering the words of his newest poem. Ghrange froze in the doorway and weighed his options. He finally decided to respectfully, albeit awkwardly, wait near the entrance for him to finish. After a few seconds the master stood up and looked his way.

Master Kanto

———————————

Leader of the Yiga Clan

Master Kanto was relatively young to be a master of the Yiga Clan. He appeared to be about 26 years old with a medium build. He had dark brown hair and a long face that was usually covered by his mask. He was dressed in his typical Yiga attire, minus the mask.

"Ghrange," Kanto smiled. "How are you?"

Ghrange coughed. "I'm well, thank you. I hope that you are the same."

"I am," Kanto replied. He made his way over to where Ghrange was standing as he cleared his throat.

"Sir, I was wondering if I could talk to you about your- well, your plan," Ghrange said.

Kanto's face hardened at his words. He tilted his head slightly and put his hand on his shoulder. "What about it? Let's walk." He motioned towards the outside of the room.

They walked into the hallway of the hideout. Many people were going about their day. Even though the hideout was secluded from the rest of the kingdom in the Gerudo Highlands, it still had a well working society with some shops and schooling and food, although most of it was their prized bananas.

"Sir," Ghrange's voice was shaky as they walked through the hideout. "...I...all respect towards you, Master, but, I've found myself doubting the plan."

Master Kanto stopped. He shifted his gaze towards Ghrange. "Oh? And why do you say that?" His eyes were set on his own and his brows began to turn downward as he said this.

Gulp.

"Well, I just feel like... like this isn't something the clan has usually done. We've always done, well, intimidation and threats. We build up our presence and then we show ourselves, not just going for the end result without anything before it. For example...like..." His Master's yellow eyes were digging into his. "...like stealing the thunder helm. That was a sign for the Gerudo of things to come. And...and Master Kohga always-"

Kanto snapped. "KOHGA was a FOOL who didn't see the TRUE potential of our people!" Kanto spun and pinned Ghrange on the wall with his hands on his shoulders. His breathing had increased exponentially at the mention of the former Master.

"Kohga treated it like a game," Kanto growled. "He did everything for the fun of it."

After a few more heavy breaths, Kanto looked down and let go of him as he started to calm down. "I'm sorry, Ghrange. Let me explain," Kanto said as he put his arm around the boy's shoulder. They started to head towards the huge open space where the bottomless pit was: where Kohga had lost his life.

"When Kohga died, I was devastated," Kanto continued. "He had trained me to become the man I am today, and when I saw him fall, my hatred for that boy, the 'hero', only grew and I swore that I would kill him, just as Ganon would have."

They continued towards the pit. The sky's red and orange streaks signaled sunset.

"It's just...Kohga didn't have the vision that I believe I have. I mean no offense to you when I say this, but Kohga was a burden to all of us. He didn't understand what our true ruler wanted. I'm ready to raise the Yiga into the center of all Hyrule."

They were now at the pit. Kanto took a few steps forward and crouched at the edge, looking down. Ghrange was just a few feet behind him. Ghrange didn't exactly know if it was going well or not. Kanto had yelled at him, but he thought it wasn't intended directly to him. Maybe he was just letting his anger out as he tended to do. Kanto glanced over his shoulder and tilted his head towards the pit, beckoning him to come closer. Ghrange obeyed.

They both looked down into the seemingly never ending hole. Kanto took a long breath in.

"In order for the Yiga Clan to become the rulers of this nation I'll need unwavering commitment from everyone," Kanto's voice was oddly calm and somewhat... soothing. He turned his head to Ghrange.

Ghrange's heart immediately started beating faster. He looked at Kanto through the corner of his eye. His breathing increased as well, but the calm voice gave him hope.

"Master," Ghrange started, now looking at Kanto. "I think I understand what you're trying to do with your vision. I will fully support you in whatever you feel is right."

Kanto said nothing. All he did was stand up. He stood for a few seconds as Ghrange continued to crouch near the edge. He waited for the approving words from Kanto, but they just didn't come.

"Master-" He began to turn around, but as he started to stand, a hand bolted to his neck and held him, dangling his body over the pit. Kanto's face showed anger and determination.

"Ghrange. One can't change loyalty that quickly."

"Master, please! I... I promise sir-" His words were barley a whisper.

"Promise?"

"Yes! Master K- Kanto, I will follow you t- to the ends of the earth. I will be utterly devoted to y-"

"Shut up."

Ghrange shut his mouth. His hands were gripping the one Kanto had around his neck. His eyes were searching Kanto's, looking for some mercy.

"Loyalty takes time, boy. And time has run out."

"MASTER-"

"Send my regards to Kohga."

Kanto let his hand loose around the boys neck. On his way down, Ghrange tried to claw at Kanto's arm to find some way to not fall, but his nails only dug into his skin leaving cuts seeping blood. Ghrange's screams rang through the opening as he traveled farther and farther down the hole. Kanto's expression stayed the same, that of determination.

The screams eventually faded and Kanto looked at his bloodied right arm. There would definitely be scars.

"Sir."

He turned around to see four clan members run up to him at the pit.

"Hello Garn," Kanto said, glancing at the oldest looking one in the group. "Please tell me you found the boy."

"No. Not entirely, sir. But," he held his hand up, "we have an idea of where he could be," Garn then glanced to the man next to him. "The real reason we wanted you is because we've acquired... the remains." The man next to him stepped forward and showed Kanto a large bottle full of a shiny black liquid that had splotches of red. It seemed to move around in the bottle.

"W-where did you find it?" Kanto questioned.

"Just behind the castle, sir. It was hard to get with all the construction being done to it, but we managed."

Master Kanto took the bottle in his hands.

"Malice. It's really malice." He chuckled. "Now all we need is the hero."