•Chapter Seven• Time Marches On

Start from the beginning

"It's nice to meet you too, Mason," I replied with a forced smile and attempt to pull my hand from his. Mason held onto my hand a moment longer, lightly squeezing it as he looked deeply into my eyes with what I concluded was a look of regret. When he released my hand, I took a step back and turned to my Luna.

"Let's all go in and chat over a cup of coffee, yeah?" Luna Adina ushered us both toward the packhouse when the sound of a vehicle captured our attention. We all turned at the same time to see a maroon-colored car driving up the driveway toward the packhouse. Immediately, I knew that was Starla's car.

"Oh good," Luna Adina said cheerfully. "Our future Luna is here!"

As we waited for her to park and join us, Derriel came running out of the house, and before the car had come to a full stop, he was standing by the driver's door ready to open it. In the next instant, he ripped the door open, then pulled Starla out of the car and into his arms before he crashed his lips down onto hers.

"Ahem!" Mason cleared his throat loudly, causing the love birds to break apart. While Derry grins widely and unashamed, Starla blushes like crazy making Luna Adina and I giggle.

"Debbie!" Starla cries out the moment she catches sight of me. Pushing away from her now unhappy mate, she rushes to me and hugs me quite hard. "Have you talked to Aubrie yet?" She asked as we pulled apart, a hopeful look on her face.

"No," I reply with a shake of my head.

"Wait, what?" Luna Adina cuts in, her eyes wide with surprise. "But I thought you talk to each other every day!" The Luna all but shouted.

"It's been twenty-nine days, two hours, and ten minutes since I have spoken to her. I'm honestly worried. So worried in fact that I text her phone informing her that if she hasn't called me before I go to bed, I have every intention of jumping in my car and driving out to Iowa to see her!"

Everyone but Mason nodded their head. The poor man looked confused but stood silently until his sister remembered he was present. "Aubrielle is Debbie's only child. She moved away to her mate's pack two days after her eighteenth birthday."

Mason nodded his understanding. "Perhaps she is very busy with Luna and pack duties, not to mention her mate?" Mates finding each other can sometimes lead to them wanting to spend every available moment with their mate to the point they neglect family and friends.

"No way!" Starla exclaimed, looking at Mason through narrowed eyes. "Aubrie wouldn't do that. She has been close to her mom since her father died and isn't the type to make her mother worry. By the way, who are you?"

"Easy tiger," Derry chuckled as he wrapped an arm around Starla's shoulders. "This is my uncle Mason Green. Uncle Mason, this is my mate, Starla Weston."

Starla blushed furiously as she apologized to Mason. "I'm sorry for being rude sir but Aubrie is my best friend and I know for a fact that she would be calling her mother every day if she could," Starla explained as she shook Mason's hand.

"Oh, I see," Was all Mason said in reply.

Suddenly my phone begins to ring, stopping all conversation. All eyes turn to me expectantly as I dig my phone out of my purse and look at the display. Shaking my head to signal it's not Aubrielle, I press the answer button and bring the phone to my ear. "Hello Silvia," I greet the caller.

"Hey Debbie, how are you doing? Any word from Aubrielle yet?" Silvia asked. I knew she and Mathew were as worried as I was since they loved her as if she were their pup also. I noticed the others were heading into the packhouse with Luna Adina leading the way.

'Join us inside when you're done, ok?' The Luna mind-linked me and I nodded then continued my conversation with Silvia. "Beyond the usual text, no," I confide in her with a sad sigh.