•Chapter Seven• Time Marches On

Debbie (Aubrielle's mom)

It's been close to a month and I have yet to hear my daughter's voice. Yes, I have gotten daily text messages from her phone but I get the sense it's not her. I know my daughter, and the tone of her texts does not match who I know my daughter to be. A mother knows their child better than anyone else.

Worry gnaws at my insides with each passing day. I can't stand the silence, the not knowing how my baby is doing and if they are treating her well. I feel like if I don't find out soon I will lose my mind. Things can't go on this way and I have decided it was high time I let my daughter know my displeasure.

Picking up my cell phone, I begin to quickly type a message. 'While I appreciate your text messages, I have yet to hear your voice. I expect to hear from you before I go to bed tonight, or I promise you I will jump in my car tomorrow morning and come to see you!'

After sending the text, I got dressed for the day, then went down to have breakfast. Once I ate my meal and washed the dishes, I grabbed my things, then headed out the door. Being in the house alone all day would drive me crazy, so I'd opted to spend my day at the packhouse among the pack.

I was walking up the path to the packhouse while I was looking over my shoulder at a pack member who had called out to me and I ended up slamming into a solid object. Bouncing off, I stumbled back a step before strong hands grabbed hold of my upper arms to help steady me.

"Are you alright?" A masculine voice asked causing my head to snap in its direction quickly. The man before me had curly brown hair that fell over his forehead, sparkling green eyes, and a straight elegant nose above a pair of slightly thin lips.

The overall effect was a gorgeous man that took my breath away. All I could do was stand there gawking up at him as if I were entranced. A thick brow hitched upward and those lips curled into a small smirk as he looked down at me with amusement dancing in his eyes.

Mentally shaking myself out of it, I clear my throat as warmth begins to crawl up my neck and face. "Um, yeah. Thank you for your assistance." I hurriedly step away from him, forcing him to release me.

"My pleasure," He replies, his eyes appreciatively roaming over my form. "It's not every day I have the privilege of helping such a beautiful woman." He purrs seductively as he plunges his hands into his pants pockets.

I could feel my blush deepen and I ducked my head to hide my blazing face. A husky chuckle caused a pleasant shiver to course down my back and I instantly stiffened. It had been years since my mate died. I'd had no interest in anyone since then, until now. I got this overpowering urge to get away from him quickly.

"Mason!" A familiar female voice cried out, drawing my eyes to her. My Luna was sprinting from the direction of the packhouse, toward the man standing in front of me. She flung herself into his arms with a squeal of joy. The stranger caught her and hugged her tight.

Feeling like I was intruding on a private moment, I began to walk away when Luna Adina caught a glimpse of me trying to sneak away. "Oh, Debbie," She greeted me before she grabbed me up in a hug, then stepped back with a grin.

"Let me introduce you to my brother," Grabbing hold of my arm, she pulled me back to stand in front of her brother, who was looking at me with that amused smirk of his.

"Mason, this is my good friend Dr. Debbie Clover. Debbie, this is my brother Mason Green. He will be staying with us for a bit, though I hope he will decide to stay with us for good." Luna Adina informs me, to which her brother rolls his eyes in a good-natured way.

"Relocating isn't as easy as that Dina," Mason tells his sister with an odd look on his face before he looks back at me with a soft smile. "It truly is a pleasure Debbie," Mason says to me as he grasps my hand in his big, strong one to shake it.