15 • Admissions

It took no time for Adah and Ezra to be ushered off to the tower housing their bedchamber by Commander Almont

The palace of Sacred Perch was lavish. Far grander than any place she'd ever been before. The twisting hallway that led away from the prince's after-study opened to a courtyard situated in the middle of the castle, framed by marbled archways and thick potted bushes of red and white roses.

But, it wasn't the high row of trimmed garden hedges or the snaking pathway made entirely out of tiny coins that captured Adah's attention, but the bubbling fountain.

Composed of welded copper instruments, the fountain stood as tall as Mercado's Dream Shop. Water sprayed high up into the air from two french horns, the mist transforming into flecks of glitter in the air. Each piece catching rays of moonlight before settling on the hedges in gilded heaps.

Adah looked down at her arms, which were speckled with the same rose gold glitter, wondering what magic was at play here. They continued past the courtyard, following another hallway labeled South Tower.

As they walked, Ezra shortened his long strides to match Adah's pace. His walk carried all the swagger of a pirate, confidence and bravado in each step.

His woody scent climbed into the window of her thoughts like a secret lover. His confidence radiating like a bubble of protection all around.

She pushed the attraction deep down, choosing to ignore how he made her feel and focus on the impossible task ahead.

Slaying the dragon from her nightmares and finding Reynald.

They continued in silence for a time, following Commander Almont through the quiet halls of the castle, when all of a sudden Ezra started chuckling.

At first, Adah chose to ignore that, too. Refusing to even look in his direction. But the pull of his eyes and the sound of his laugh were as good as a dare.

"What do you find so damn funny?" Adah demanded of the pirate.

His lips were drawn in a cheeky grin, and for whatever reason, it sent her temper aflame. "I'm wondering what it is about me that makes you so nervous?"

Adah stopped walking abruptly. "Let me make one thing clear, Lord Salt. You do not make me nervous."

He was painfully, annoyingly, beautiful. Not handsome in the way Reynald was, with his cherubic mop of blonde curls and pouty smile. Ezra was different. Even with the mottled pink X branded at the top of his jaw and the cut on his cheek, Adah thought there was something about him that drew her in.

Okay, so maybe he did make her a little nervous.

"Oh, really?" Ezra replied. A wide hand coming to rest on the hilt of his sword. Looking smug as ever.

"I think you're confusing nerves with annoyance," she asserted.

Ezra cast an amused glance ahead at Commander Almont, who hadn't stopped imperiously strutting towards a narrow archway, which opened to a spiraling stairwell.