20 • Hate

In the absolute darkness of the cell, Adah found it difficult to believe in anything—let alone her dreams

If Mercado wanted them to save this realm, she had no idea how to do that.

Adah blew out a frustrated breath, feeling lower than she'd ever felt before. This was all her fault.

It had been her idea to find Delvesque and use him to unlock the dungeon. She'd trusted Prince Bastian even when all her instincts told her not to.

And now, she wouldn't be able to save Reynald. Everything about this whole adventure into the Kingdom of Broken Dreams had been a mistake, and now, they were going to pay for their foolishness.

She turned towards Ezra and asked, "We are going to die down here, aren't we?"

Ezra slipped a finger under her chin, and Adah's gaze lifted to his. "Don't lose hope, Adah. We'll figure this out."

Adah blinked. Not knowing what to say. Could he see the pain of a thousand wishes gone wrong written on her face, even in this dark cell?

She couldn't quite make out his face, but she could feel every inch of him standing so very close to her. It took everything inside of Adah not to collapse in his arms and cry her eyes out.

"How?" was all she said in reply—more a whisper than anything.

"I'm not sure."

Ezra's thumb grazed her lower lip, and Adah sucked in a sharp breath. His hands wove into Adah's thick hair, pulling her face close. His breath heating her lips.

Even though she couldn't see his face, Adah knew his look had turned more serious. The lines of his body were pressed up against her. "All I know is that I'm glad you're okay," Ezra said quietly. "And I'm glad we're together. I made a vow to protect you, and I intend on keeping it. I won't let you die. And I won't let Bastian use you either."

When they'd fallen through the air together, ready to crash to the ground, Ezra had made a vow to her. At the time, it had seemed cold and forced, done more out of self-preservation than belief. But now, something had changed, and Adah believed him.

Sir Ezra seemed more real to her than the prince she'd met in the streets of Belint after all they'd been through together.

His free hand snaked around her waist, drawing her even closer. A fire burned low inside her stomach at his touch and his nearness, despite the chill of the cold dungeon.

"I know I made a promise not to kiss you," Ezra said, voice thick and low. "But I'd very much like to break that promise right now."

His admission did things to her she couldn't explain.

He wanted to kiss her?

Adah thought she should say no. That she should push him away. But, if she was being honest with herself, she didn't want to. She wanted to think about anything besides their current situation—about how she'd failed to be the princess this realm needed—and kissing Ezra would surely accomplish that.