26 • Under A Glittering Sky

Once the decision to steal the Mircella was made, a flurry of movement happened around them

Once the decision to steal the Mircella was made, a flurry of movement happened around them. Maps were collected and bags packed.

Adah's magical dress had transformed again into a comfortable woolen midnight blue dress with a slit up both legs. Her cloak was fur-lined velvet dyed the same color, and warm leather gloves covered her hands.

The plan was simple: ride into Sacred Perch under cover of darkness, board the Mircella, and get the ship underway and down the river before morning.

"I've packed plenty of food for the journey and fresh water, my lady," her handmaiden Bari told her. She had hair just as dark and curly as Adah's, and her eyes were a familiar shade of deep brown. "It's already on your horse."

Beside her, Sopra nodded. Her skin was the same bronze color as Adah's, but her hair was a fiery red and she wore a gold hoop in her nose.

She captured Adah's hand in her own, squeezing it with all the ferocity of a lusty street merchant peddling bottles of golden luck. "Are you sure we can't come with you?"

Adah shook her head. Bari was only fourteen and Sopra sixteen. She couldn't put them in danger. "No, stay here with the people. Keep them safe for me."

Sopra gave her a sad smile, then nodded. "I know you're going to give Bale hell, majesty."

"Please tell me you can sit a horse," Florence said with a commanding edge from atop her warhorse. She would be leaving with the army for their positions in the pass as soon as she and Ezra slipped away.

Adah tried not to roll her eyes. Against all odds, Adah had come to like Florence Levesque. She was a force to be reckoned with. But Adah had grown up on the hills of Ste. Marle riding her painted pony through the orchards. "I'm familiar with how to ride."

"Good." Florence turned to Sir Eldritch. "Bring the lady's stallion around."

"Stallion?" The word slipped out before Adah could stop herself. She had never ridden a stallion before.

"Oh yes," Florence said. "Only the best for the uncrowned princess."

Sir Eldritch retrieved a shining stallion, and Adah's mouth fell open. He was beautiful. Completely white—with a shining mane of beaten flax braided with deep blue ribbons. The horse's eyes were as blue as pond ice and frozen breath.

Winter herself surely rode one of these beasts as she made an assault on Autumn.

Sopra clasped her hands together and bent low, encouraging Adah with a nod. Hesitantly, Adah placed one of her slippered feet in the girl's grip and was vaulted into the saddle. What little modesty Adah had made itself known as she hiked up her dress to straddle the cold leather saddle. Bari pulled the midnight blue cloak over Adah's knees.