23 • The Royal Tent

Ezra swept back his long black cloak and lowered onto one knee

Florence Levesque, whose gown was decorated with an enviable number of daggers and swords, split the ranks of kneeling soldiers as she approached Ezra with long measured strides.

"Princess Florence," he said. "It's good to see you alive and well, mon sang."

Mon sang, or my blood was the Belinti phrase reserved for close family. And not just those that you shared blood with, but those you would bleed for. It was a sign of closeness. Of love.

"Get up, mon sang. No need for such formalities."

Adah watched as Ezra brushed pieces of unbound silver hair from his face before rising to his feet. The two clasped hands in greeting like old friends before he placed a kiss on both her cheeks.

For someone who didn't want or need love in his life, he certainly seemed to love his niece.

"I'm not surprised to find you leading an army," Ezra said around one of his deep laughs.

"Well, it's not my army. It's hers," said the princess, gesturing with her chin towards Adah.

So it's true, Adah thought, looking out across the endless ranks of soldiers. This was her army. But, if so, why were Princess Florence and Reynald here? It made no sense.

Florence seemed to understand the look of confusion on her face.

"I'm just making sure these green boys know how to swing a sword before the real battle comes," she offered. Ezra chuckled again, a boyish look pressed on his usually stern face. "Care to join me?" Florence asked as she unsheathed a thin needle-like rapier from her hip and tossed it to Ezra. He caught it easily in the air.

He turned to Adah, who was having trouble looking away from his bare, tattooed chest and the dribbles of blood staining it. "I would, but I need to stay with Adah."

"Reynald will get Adah settled," Florence said quickly, turning to the lanky blond at her side. "Won't you?"

"Absolutely, darling. I'll take her to the royal tent straight away. I won't let her out of my sight."

Reynald swept into a bow, then took Florence's hand in his and placed a kiss on her knuckles. "See you later, my queen."

Ezra nodded once. Glaring at Reynald. "If one hair is disturbed on her head, I'll slit your throat. Understand?"

Her best friend slung his arm around her shoulders and mussed her hair with a hand. "Wouldn't dream of it, Lord Ezra."

Ezra didn't look satisfied, but his niece gave him a playful shove on the arm. "Come on, cousin."

"I'll come find you later," Ezra said.

Before they parted ways, Ezra and Adah shared one last look, and she swore the green in his eyes was brighter than it once had been. Even the hazel one seemed more green than brown. Ezra's gaze seared into her long after Reynald took her hand and led her towards the line of billowing white tents that had been constructed further up the beach. She could feel Ezra still watching her as they passed a line of guards and into the largest of the tents.