11 • Sacred Perch

For a time, Ezra remained silent as they walked together, side by side

For a time, Ezra remained silent as they walked together, side by side. Observing the pink-leafed trees and studying the low-lying land. Adah caught herself staring at him a time or two, wondering what he was thinking. Or plotting. She fixed the strap of her new jeweled purse over her shoulder and hugged it tighter to her body.

The Elixir of Broken Dreams was the only thing binding him to her, and Adah knew he'd try to steal it once they found Princess Florence and Reynald. Or perhaps the pirate planned to take it and leave her the first chance he got—marooning her inside the dream world forever.

Being as tall and broad as he was, Adah imagined the oaf would have trouble sneaking up on her.

He might be a pirate, but she was a rather good thief. Surpassing even Reynald's knowledge of cracking locks and stealth.

Ezra fixed his crooked smile on her. As if the ruddy pirate knew she was thinking about him. "You know, if we're going to sell the ruse that we are desperately in love, you need to stop looking at me like I'm a sea Kraken."

Adah snorted out a laugh to cover up the momentary flash of discomfort. Hallows. How was she going to pretend to be in love with him? Pretending to like him was hard enough. But love?

The only experience she'd had with being in love with someone who loved her back was in her dreams. Her sworn sword read poetry and stole kisses in darkened alcoves. He did other things, too. Things she was sure she'd never let Sir Toadstool do.

"Fine," Adah replied when she found Ezra still staring and smiling. "You can offer me your arm, and I suppose I'll take it. But under no conditions are you to do anything more."

"Anything more?" he asked. "You'll need to be more specific."

A beat of awkward silence passed. The oaf was going to make her say it. "No...kissing. Of any sort."

His brows rose. "No kissing?"

The heat in her cheeks burned, but she refused to look away. Those were her conditions.

With a nod of agreement, Ezra held out the crook of his arm for her to take. Adah swallowed hard, her gaze narrowing on the spot she was to place her hand. Of all the ridiculous things she'd done in her life, this had to be the most ridiculous.

She told herself that it was just a ruse. It wasn't real.

Prickles of heat rose as she lifted her hand and set it delicately on his arm. As soon as she did, a sense of surety and warmth rocked through her—just as it had when he'd carried her through the Magic District. The smell of coconut rum and ocean air clinging to him.

"Adah," Ezra said, and her gaze followed the sound of her name. His voice was as rough as waves crashing against the bluffs. The sound of crushed seashells and broken promises. Nothing like Reynald's honey-sweet lilt. "Shall we?"