Part 20. The .300 Winchester Magnum

Listen to "TRRST" by IC3PEAK and ZillaKami for this chapter.

Tick

Tick. Tock.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Minho's leg bounced as he listened to the clock wall, waiting for the chairman to finish studying the bullet he and Chan had brought him. His chest tightened with each second that passed. The wait was torture.

".300 Winchester Magnum," Chairman Kang finally said, holding the bullet up between two fingers. "That was a sniper rifle. An American one. This cartridge is used by the US military and law enforcement departments for marksmanship and long-range sniping."

The wall clock resumed its ticking as the three men stared at each other.

"American?" Chan was the first to speak; he turned to Minho with a confused grimace. "Did something happen in New York during Mother Viper's visit?"

Sighing, Minho rubbed his forehead. "No... She said it went well. We even gained more associates from there. They sent two of their best soldiers to Seoul to help with our lack of human resources after the explosion..."

"But it could be another organized crime syndicate from the States," Chan said. "From Chicago or- or the Irish Mob, or─"

"I wouldn't think that far," the chairman replied instead. "This rifle is also popular in Japan. The yakuza¹ especially prefers American weapons because they're easier to buy."

Tick. Tock.

Tick. Tock.

Chan covered his mouth. "Tatsuo." He glanced at the chairman to make sure he wasn't listening, then added in a whisper, "Their attacks are getting out of hand. They bomb our warehouses, and now they try to kill your mother? What's next? We have to put an end to this before it's too late."

Tick. Tock.

"Minho?"

"There's a spy among us."

"What?"

Minho frowned as he explained, "They're buying information from the inside. If they weren't, they wouldn't have known where and when to shoot. They wouldn't have known where to find the headquarters or Mother's office. Someone is sabotaging us."

"Then, let's do something and find the spy quickly. Those bastards are serious about winning this war."

"So am I," Minho mumbled. "But we have to act smart... First, we need to strengthen the headquarters' security to prevent this from happening again. Afterwards, I want you and CL to interrogate every single Viper and give me a list of those who confess anything or show suspicious behavior. Do it all in silence and as fast as possible."