Chapter 29

~~~

Agnes couldn't believe they felt the need to have an Anniversary Party before their 5th anniversary. In her opinion, even five didn't seem like it necessarily justified it's own event. She brushed it off. Molly had made it seem extremely important and as always Agnes just wanted to come through and make it fun. Agnes really suspected though they were just itching for an excuse to gather with friends, drink, and send Juli off to a sitter. Getting married and having a baby that rapidly had likely left them a little disconnected, which was reasonable, to be fair. She didn't blame them for wanting to take some time for themselves, but she thought doing it under the guise of an Anniversary Party seemed unnecessary. Nevertheless, she played along like a good sister and helped organize.

She huffed quite a bit the day of... She was constantly wrapped up in some kind of tension with college less than 6 months away and her relationship with James on the rocks. She was getting restless and less tolerant as she went. Being around anyone felt like a chore and she had to consciously combat it. Today she was particularly twitchy with everyone and then there was the party tonight. She tried to keep it to herself. She helped herself to a beer long before the party to try to numb up that feeling. She rolled her eyes at herself while she tipped the beer back.

"Don't get obliterated tonight." Molly commented walking by the kitchen.

Agnes closed her eyes and repressed the bitchy response that immediately sprang to her mouth. "Isn't that the point of underage drinking?" She replied lightly and tried to laugh. That was a stupid response too. She rocked her head sided to side as she mulled it over Ehh could have been worse.

"Fair enough, but at least hold off for now." She asked. Agnes didn't respond, but tried her best to playfully eye her sister as she tipped the beer back for a long drink.

Molly reached for it and Agnes swung herself out of reach without pulling the drink from her lips.

"Please!" Molly begged. "Wait until everyone gets here. C'mon don't mess up tonight by getting too drunk!"

Agnes pulled down the drink and her face pinched up as she looked at her sister. She tried her hardest not to let the "fuck you" comment boil to the surface and fall out of her mouth. She pulled a breath through her teeth and tried to make her irritation less obvious. She followed it up with a smile. "No problem." She slid the beer onto the kitchen counter and went back to pulling chips and snacks out of the cupboard.

Molly picked up the beer and smiled as she took a swig. "Thank you. You'll have a lot more fun, if you don't over do it too early."

"Yeah, I got it. Thanks." Agnes took the chips into the table and started pouring them into bowls. She couldn't help but sound snarky. All the memories of taking care of Molly when she drank too much came flooding into her head. It was one fucking beer, what was her problem? She closed her eyes and tried to breathe. It's not your day, she reminded herself, just try to get through this party and then we can isolate ourselves. Her thoughts paused as she exhaled. But she is being SUCH a bitch. She argued with herself. We just have to get through this. It's one night. Just push it down. The other part of her head that wanted to fight tried its best to fall in line.

The rest of the evening leading up to the party wasn't much better. Molly insisted Agnes put on a nicer blouse and "Agnes, why don't you do your make up?" to which Agnes clearly resisted. She wasn't in the mood for any of this. "C'mon do yourself up for James. He'd love that."

"He's been trapped with me for years. A little make up won't dazzle him."

"Oh c'mon... just get into the spirit. Christ, you've been such a downer lately."