It's not until I felt a light prodding at my ribs that I realised that I had fallen asleep. Alex was there, peering down at me.

"Did you know that you talk in your sleep?"

"Shut up," I grumbled, sitting up, "I do not."

"You do so," Alex teased, being unbelievably childish. I rolled my eyes and stumbled out of the car, still slightly foggy from my nap. It was windy, bright and and smelt like salt.

Alex had brought me to a beach.

"So, what are you planning? Getting sandwiches?" I deadpanned. Alex's lips twitched, as though unsure how to react but figured laughing might be a good way to go about it.

"You... made a joke?" he managed to say, still having that lip twitch thing going on.

"Am I not allowed to?"

"No, I suppose you are," Alex smiled, looking down and shaking his head before gesturing to the left. "This way."

I followed him, only concentrating on my stomaching complaining on a day and a half lack of food. I heard some screaming and looked around, only to see that the beach is completely filled with rollercoasters. Alex didn't take any notice of them and, rather than leading me into some high class restaurant, he headed over towards some food stalls.

"Deep fried, really?" I asked, wrinkling my nose as we approached the stall.

"Oh hush," Alex responded, good naturedly. He turned to the guy in the stall and orders something deep fried, at least I thought. I was too busy looking at the massive rides.

"Here," Alex said suddenly, passing a small box into my hands. I looked down and saw what looked like dough balls. I raised an eyebrow at him. Alex gave me an encouraging nudge. "Be brave, give it a try."

I hesitantly picked one up and took a bite, only to have my mouth invaded by sweetness. "Holy crap, is that an oreo?" I didn't give Alex time to respond before I shoved the rest of it into my gob.

"Glad you approve, then," he said with a grin. Sometimes I doubted if Alex was actually human or not, he rarely stopped smiling.

Kind of like Austin. What was with me surrounding myself with perpetually optimistic people?

We walked along the pier in comfortable silence as I polished off the oreos.

"You want to go on some?" Alex asked, breaking the silence as I tossed the box into a nearby bin.

"What? The rides?"

"Of course, what else?" he shook his head and gestured back towards the rides over his shoulder. "Take your pick."

So naturally, being the complete idiot that I am, I choose the most terrifying one of all.

"Are you sure about this?" Alex asked, hesitantly sitting into the seat.

"Damn sure," I replied, ignoring the clenching in my stomach as the bars were lowered. Maybe this wasn't the best idea.

"If you puke on me, I will not hesitate to throw you out," he warned, giving me a pointed look.

"Just for that threat, I'll aim towards your face," I replied dryly, unable to help the smile that crept onto my features. Then suddenly, without warning or a buildup or something, we're tumbling through the air.

Round and round and oh god.

I squeezed my eyes shut, willing this ordeal to be over soon. All I could hear was blood pounding in my ears and Alex screaming beside me. I clenched the bars in front of me as we're propelled back and squeezed my eyes tighter. When the nightmare was over, I stumbled out of the ride blinking profusely.