Part Thirteen

They stayed in the upper cavern for a while, splitting up to search the tunnels for Amma and whatever horrible cave-elf ritual they could do with her. In the evening, they reunited to clean and sleep. Tiberius wished he could search all night, but Maman was having none of it. As far as she was concerned, searching the cavern well-rested was the best way to go about it.

"Amma wouldn't want to see us a wreck," she reasoned, "Not after all she's been through. Furthermore, what if we are so delirious from lack of sleep, zat we do not recognize her? What if we attack? Zese are real threats to consider, son."

Tiberius nodded, trying not to let his jaw drop. The old Maman was smarter than he gave her credit for.

"Our powers are still limited," he said, "After all this time, we still haven't found her." He shook his head. "Are you sure she's whole and alive?"

Bathilde froze, and a secret lurked behind her gap-toothed grin.

"Well...." She folded her red-clawed hands. "I would 'ope."

"I hope she's alive, but hoping doesn't make it true, Maman, even if you are a witch."

"She is powerful. Perhaps more powerful zen I am."

"She's stronger than me, that's for sure." He sighed and ate another berry. "I just wish she wasn't so...trusting."

"Really? She's trusting?"

"Haven't you noticed? She was fawning all over you, and she trusted her dream so much, she had to come here." He scratched his chin. "I assumed I had a nightmare, that's all."

Maman frowned for a minute.

"Do you trust me?"

"O-Of course!"

"I sense anger and fear from your person," she sniffled, wiping her eyes. "You don't completely trust me, Tib. I wouldn't blame you-- I was a bad mother. I am a bad mother. I didn't give any of you za chance to show me who you really were, and 'ow I could 'elp you. Zat's all I wanted...for everyone to be 'appy!"

Tiberius shivered. He didn't expect to, but seeing his mother tremble and cry like this burned a hole deep in his heart. A hard, sour lump swelled in his throat. What could he tell her? There was no way in Hell he would understand what went through her mind-- ever. But something within shoved him forward, wrapped his arm around her shoulder. He whispered into her ear:

"Maman, sometimes we can't be happy. I know you're trying to make up for lost time, but...."

"But what?"

"Sometimes we have to be in the moment-- always migrating toward the future, like the warm waters of the sea. Sometimes you have to let go of what you want and dive in. Besides..." He took a deep breath. "That's a big burden to put on yourself."

"Not as big as za fear of loss. Like Yvonne, I can't lose Amma-- my only other girl!" She rose to her feet. "No offense. I love my sons just the same, ma bichette. But your father...." She shuddered. "I was not willing when I 'ad Emmanuel."

Tiberius shuddered and hugged her, desperate to comfort her. She'd never confessed such feelings before. His heart pounded with pain.

"Oh, Maman...!"

"It feel good to say, doesn't it! I'm a survivor! I survived...something I did not want." She bit her lip. "Now you see why my children are so precious to me!"