𝐟 𝐨 𝐮 𝐫 𝐭 𝐞 𝐞 𝐧

14 | Kaspian

It broke his heart to watch her finally snap and cry into his chest.  She was so strong that she managed to shield her face from him so he wouldn't have to see her.

And now she was sitting in the SUV with extra concealer acting like everything was perfect in the world.  She laughed just the right amount at Nox's jokes.  Roller her eyes just enough at Mackenzie's ridiculous comments, and she squeezed his hand just enough to try to convince Kaspian that she was okay.

It made him wonder how long she had been placing this mask on- how long she'd been acting in front of her own friends.

Was she acting with him?

Surely not.

"Kas with Zara and Nox with me?" Mackenzie suggested.

"No.  Kaspian's mom will suspect something is between us two," she said pointing between herself and Kas, "if we're partners, and then she'll go for me, Kas's weakness."

"Is there something between you two?" Mackenzie wanted to know.

"Yes," Kaspian interjected before Zara had a chance to say anything.  He wanted to make sure she knew he wanted this just as much as she did, if not more.

"Finally man."

"Finally!" Zara exclaimed, "it took you years to get over your hatred for Nox and realize how in love with her you actually were.  If anything it took y'all longer."

"How'd you know?"

"I know everything."  She stated proudly.

"You love me," Nox asked incredulously.

And being the ridiculously dumb person Mackenzie was, he scoffed as if he could ever love somebody like her.

With that, the car ride turned silent and Nox and Mackenzie were back where they started.

Nox with tears in her eyes, and Mackenzie with an ice-cold heart in a locked box that hardly anybody could break the lock to.

+++

The cars had been hidden in a bush of trees and the group had already split into their respective partners.

Kas and Mackenzie were currently finding an entrance in the back part of the house while Nox and Zara went straight through the main door as if they were lost neighbors looking for the nearest bathroom.

It was a strategy that had worked for countless other missions.

In hindsight it was really quite a stupid idea, but how were they to know?

How were they to know how desperate his mother really was?