𝐞 𝐥 𝐞 𝐯 𝐞 𝐧

11 | Mackenzie

Andrew Rousseau wanted the wedding to happen now.

And whatever Andrew Rousseau wanted he got.

So now, Mackenzie found himself standing on a large extravagant altar with his best man- Kas- right behind him.

Everything was too loud.

He could hear Kaspains's breathing. 

He could hear the way the fabric protested as he adjusted the too-tight tie.

He could hear Nox whispering to her father from the back room of the cathedral.

All he wanted to do was drink.

He wanted to put goblet after goblet up to his lips until he was lost in a haze of bloodlust that nobody could ever pull him out of.

He wouldn't though.

Because that's what happened to his brother.

Just as he was about to throw this whole thing off and risk the wrath of Andrew Rousseau, the large doors opened and the guests rose.

Music spread through the room but Mackenzie didn't hear any of it: he was too focused on the small bride walking down the aisle.

And in true Nox fashion, she was dressed in an emerald green wedding dress.

+++

The vows had come and gone, and now Mackenzie had just placed the ring on her dainty finger.

It was a huge ring that looked as if it could drag her hand all the way to the floor if it wanted.  

Mackenzie had specifically picked out the ring just for her.  He knew she'd want something extravagant and despite his morals, he'd done something for her.  It had felt admirable to do something so nice and simple for somebody- that he wouldn't deny.

The priest cleared his throat and looked at the 'happy' couple that was so skillfully acting to appease their parents, their people, and the judge.

"You may now kiss the bride."

Mackenzie sucked in a harsh breath of air before bringing his lips down and meeting them with hers.

Before they could even begin to kiss he'd yanked his lips away far too early in fear that if he stayed too long he wouldn't be able to stop.  He was afraid to feel something other than cold detachment from the world and his feelings.

Their large party of guests whooped and shouted as Mackenzie took her small hand in his and led her down the pathway and through the large wooden doors of the church.

They'd opted not to have a reception party and instead explained to everyone that they'd rather 'party' in their hotel room.

It was a lie.

Obviously.

Mackenzie made sure Nox knew this was a lie before they added that small sentence to the guest invitations.