Part Two

•••

My head slowly lifted up, taking in all the details of his features, comparing the old images of him in my head to what I saw now. He had changed significantly since the summer of 2018, the boy with chicken wings for arms, the boy who cringed at the idea of playing sports, the boy who would rather read a book, then go outside; that boy I grew up with was not the man standing in front of me. He had grown into his body. He was at least a head taller and was still as handsome as ever.

"Hello, Kate," he said pleasantly, his deep voice awakening me from my train of thoughts,

"Eli?" I asked, faking recognition.

"The one and only," he answered with a smirk. I let my head drop and I looked down at my fingers, picking at my pearl coloured nails, trying to figure out a polite way to ask him 'why he was here,' "You okay Kate, you seem a bit out of it".

I frowned, my brow furrowed at his words. Why does he get to pretend that he cares?

"No, I'm fine." I replied. "But what are you doing here? Why are you here, in this airport, Eli?" I could feel my cheeks pinking at the words that had just escaped. Pure embarrassment rushed through me. I wanted to smack myself in the face, why couldn't I think before I speak?

"I'm off to see Maddie's family" Eli answered coldly, the smile on his transforming into a frown. I could feel my heart freeze at the sound of her name. I was shocked at his tone, but hearing her name, it brought back rough memories of my ex-best friend.

"Sorry Kate that came out harsher than I meant it to," He must have seen the hurt flash through my eyes. He always did say that my eyes were a gateway to my emotions. He once knew me better than I knew myself. "Where are you off too?' he asked, his arms motioning towards the airport we were in.

"I – it's fine." I stuttered. "I- I'm, uh- I'm actually moving to London." Shock and disbelief covered his face. I could tell he thought that I must have lost my mind. The once shy, stubborn, timid girl he once loved would never have dared dreamed of doing something crazy like this, but then again, I'm not that girl anymore. I haven't been 'her' for a while now.

"London! Are you crazy? What about your mum and dad? What about Anna? Why in the world would you leave them? It would kill them

Oh my god, he doesn't know. My stomach began to turn. 

How does he not know?

 Why hasn't Maddie told him?

Oh my god why hasn't she told him, my family was like his adopted family

She was there at the funeral. How could she not have told him? Oh God, I feel sick. She didn't even have the decency to even tell him, what a bitch.

I took a slow, deep breath and closed my eyes. I let my head drop, my caramel hair hung as a curtain, shielding the tears that I try to hold back.

"You.." I took another deep breath, "y– you don't know?" My voice mumbled by the hand that had risen to my mouth, trying to hold back a sob.

He stood up."Know what?" He asked timidly. He looked torn, torn between curiosity and the fear of the answer he was going to receive. I looked out the window watching his confused face through the reflection. I thought back to that day, back in late July nearly two years ago, where the stupid drunk driver missed his red light and drove straight into our car, where my life changed dramatically for the worse.

"Eli" I said gently, raising my hand to rest it on his, "Eli they are dead."

Authors note:

Thank you for reading. Do let me know what you think.