Chapter 29

Disney makes love seem so simple. No obstacles. No internal battles. Just the external ugly villain. No wonder why there are so many retellings of their movies. Love is raw. As raw as Peter Parker losing Gwen Stacy in an attempt to save her. She was just within reach. A few inches away. But the gravity of the Earth was too strong. The cobwebs he weaved were too weak.

At night, in his bed when Aariz recalls the entire night the hot tears dare to escape. And they did, dripping onto his pillow and soaking into it leaving behind a stain that can be washed away. But what about his stained heart? He feels his mattress dip to one side. He blinks his tears away and clears his throat as he sits up.

Nuha pulls him into a hug and reluctantly dives for it. He needs support. His dams finally break and he sobs on her shoulder. She runs a hand through his hair and tries to calm him down.

"I am leaving in a week.", he whispers, "The covid count is soaring up again."

"Shhh... Give her some time. You are moving too fast for her.", she hushes him.

"I have loved her from far back when we were kids. And when these feelings come back they have ten folded themselves.", he pulls away placing a hand on his heart, "This heart will burst from these feelings."

Nuha wonders if Selena feels the same. What if she is just using her brother? What if she is just playing with his heart? The heart that unlearned to love everyone 2 years back and when it loves again, it loves the person who can't devote herself to the love.

"Why were you obsessed with Disney in childhood? What did you gain from all the toxic love they portrayed?", he hisses, "You and your pathetic obsession!"

"Calm down! That was my childhood. Just because you hate the romance genre doesn't mean the standards haven't improved."

"But Cinderella still stands the same."

"Cinderella has her own business. Her prince steps down from the crown to live with her. You should have watched Amazon's retelling."

"Why would he sacrifice his dreams for her?"

"He never dreamt of being the successor of the throne.", Nuha gets up from his bed and massages her hand with lotion before closing the side lamps.

She picks her phone to open Instagram to talk to her lover. The flowers which still have some freshness left in them are in a big vase with water in it to preserve as much of their beauty as she can.

When the feed loads a pang of jealousy creeps into her heart as she sees him with his hands around a girl who clearly doesn't look like "just a friend" type. As she scrolls through the comment sections a frown crawls on her face.

Ex-lover to not-just-a-friend:
Why was it so hot again?

Not-just-a-friend to ex-lover:
Because I was standing too close to you 🔥

Ex-lover to not-just-a-friend:
But I was feeling pretty hot too 🤡

Not-just-a-friend to ex-lover:
Then, I guess too of us are too bad for this earth 🌍 WE ARE GLOBAL WARMING 🔥

Tears don't escape her eyes but color language from her mouth does. She likes the post acknowledging how blind she had been in her heist to find a man. The back and forth flirting while giving her the flowers with a longing stare and gentle finger brush.

She goes to her followers list and removes him from the list so he can no longer stalk her. Then she goes to the messenger to see his chats.

Him:
Hey Princess.

She leaves him on seen.

Aariz stares into the darkness of the room speechless. His furrowed eyebrows try to digest what Nuha said. She rejected him because she didn't want to be a princess.